[web] Going from frontend to backend in my career

Started by
2 comments, last by agm_ultimatex 12 years, 7 months ago
This is not a technical question but since it applies to web development jobs, I can't find a more appropriate forum for it than this one.

My web development background is in mostly PHP. I have programmed in other languages on the job, a few odd jobs requiring stuff like pairing an Access database to ColdFusion frontend but I don't consider myself very savvy in these languages. Other than that, I have done a lot of personal work with C++ and C# which I have developed an interest on my own time.

For 4 years I've been in the web development industry working on mostly PHP-powered websites but I feel like I'm walking in circles. I only have been working with teams or shops that are mainly frontend focused but I am more interested in programming the backend side of things. My day job mostly consists of applying custom designs to turnkey CMS websites, launching CMS websites, or doing a couple of code tweaks. I do get to build websites from scratch but they are mostly static and don't require much business logic to running them. They are just one to two-man projects with a month's worth of work involved in them.

So I still feel VERY "junior" at work despite having read about and applying programming concepts and design patterns on my spare time. The job just isn't there anymore for me to grow in the direction that I want since they are content with being a frontend shop.

Problem is, since my resume pretty much reflects that, I have trouble getting hired at places looking for backend developers. I state on my resume that I am interested in a backend job so I avoid confusing them. My long term goal is to become a lead programmer involved in enterprise PHP work or even .NET work since there seems to be more of a market in that for backend programming. I imagine it would be even more difficult for a PHP guy who wants to jump into another programming language when their resume says they have no professional experience in it (how do people do that by the way?)

Any suggestions to sell myself better as a junior backend guy looking to make the leap from what I'm currently doing right now would be appreciated.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Advertisement
Upon seeing the title of this thread I had to double-check that i wasn't on a prostitution forum.

Upon seeing the title of this thread I had to double-check that i wasn't on a prostitution forum.

"Frontend" and "backend" are common words for web development fields. At least now I know I'm not the most junior guy in web development here biggrin.gif

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

I think your best bet is to show employers what you can do. Start building something in your language of choice, or look to contribute to some open source projects. Skill building on your spare time will not only better prepare you for another job, but you also send the employer some of the stuff you built to show you have the skills they're looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement