I would love to get in to scoring for games, can I get advice?

Started by
13 comments, last by thedreampolice 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi Chris,

It's clear you have a defined style and your audio reel demonstrates differing strands within that style but I feel that your style is what will hold you back. Games such as Jet Set Radio (or Jet Grind Radio in the states) have great soundtracks in this style but they are few and far between. To truly stay afloat you've got to adapt and get out of your comfort zone.

It has pretty much all been said, you excel in your style but to establish yourself, i truly believe you have to be very adaptable. I also believe it's a little bit of a myth that spreading yourself compositionally lessens the quality - the more you learn about other styles the more compositional techniques you have under your belt which can be applied to anything! Also videogames often call for quite strange genres - such as egyptian ragtime funk or medieval operatic metal. OK, i made those two up, but if you don't have a good knowledge of ethnic scales, ragtime patterns or any of the following then you're gonna get stuck when a developer requests these.

I hope you keep expanding your styles as the quality is certainly there.

Calum
Calum Bowen,
Composer & Sound Designer,
www.calumbowen.com
Advertisement
sure, where do you think I should start?

I am currently reading up on how to do better orchestration. I feel I will need a solid year to get decent at that. Also I am studying strange scales etc.

Is there any other avenue I should be exploring at the moment?

sure, where do you think I should start?

I am currently reading up on how to do better orchestration. I feel I will need a solid year to get decent at that. Also I am studying strange scales etc.

Is there any other avenue I should be exploring at the moment?

Well, think about something you've never done before and then do it. Perhaps it might be a style you don't think you even like!
I would suggest for you to stray away from beats/hip-hop. Try doing a cowboy theme - real western - guitars - strange percussion - horns, that kind of thing. Or a high-energy racing theme. Perhaps you could try relaxed town theme (RPG style). Any of these would give you valuable skills and if they aren't something you're already well versed in, they will teach you a lot and will open your ears to a lot more music.
Calum Bowen,
Composer & Sound Designer,
www.calumbowen.com
What program are you using? Look into some of the higher end plugins (either VTS or RTAS). Omnisphere is a good one as is Symphobia. Also, anything from Native Instruments and East West. It gets expensive but all those have really excellent orchestral samples.
Well here is what I have now, my main workstation by far is Reason and I love it! The sequencer is fantastic, and I can build any synth sound you can imagine.

That being said, I can NOT find decent sample libraries for Strings, Choir's. etc. So I have been thinking of picking up Cubase.

I also have Pro tools 9, but boy does it suck for composing. I LOVE it for mixing.

Ok here is my list

Native Instruments Komplete 5 (I am planning to upgrade to Komplete 8 ultimate when i save a few more pennies)
Waves Studio Classics
Waves GTR
Music Production Toolkit for Pro tools
MOTU Machfive 2
MOTU BPM
MOTU Ethno (the older version not V two)
MOTU Electric Keys
MOTU Symphonic
Native Instruments Maschine (I LOVE this thing!)
Propellerheads Reason 6
Propellerheads Recycle
Ableton Live Suite 8
POD Farm 2.5
Heavyocity EVOLVE
I also have a bunch of real hardware like an MPC2000xl, Even 20/20 monitors, Various mics and guitars.

So as of now my to buy as I have the cash list is

Get my Komplete up to date.
I am thinking getting Cubase 6 (thoughts on this??)
project symphobia
[color="#1C2837"]Omnisphere
[color="#1C2837"]and it looks like I can get a good bundle of stuff from East West for like 1k so I will probably do that at some point and get some choirs and the Dark Side plugin looks awesome!
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]Am I missing anything?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this is great stuff!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement