light system

Started by
1 comment, last by NightCreature83 12 years, 6 months ago
hello.
I'm studing a light system for a simple cad 3d.
I use a three light system(fill,key,back light).
My problem now is that i have some discontinuity in the illumination:
sometimes in some position the light factor is low.
I have two option :
1)insert another light with some compute increment
2)I'm not using the ambient light, is possible to resolve these "light bug" adding an ambient light?
3)add a multiplier factor for the diffuse light and adding an ambient light(.2)?

If i add the ambient light ,how must be intense?
there are some simple equation or a simple system for calculate how much ambient light i must add or i must test it "at hand"?

thanks.
Advertisement
Ambient light is the primitive and crude approximation of global illumination - so it is pretty much required for a realistic scene, unless you want to code more advance GI system...

I do not think it is possible to give an analytical formula for "correct" amount of ambient light ;-) - because "correct" depends on how you want your scene to look like. You can always use some modeller and tweak with lights, until you will find a combination that work.

Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/

Ambient light is the primitive and crude approximation of global illumination - so it is pretty much required for a realistic scene, unless you want to code more advance GI system...

I do not think it is possible to give an analytical formula for "correct" amount of ambient light ;-) - because "correct" depends on how you want your scene to look like. You can always use some modeller and tweak with lights, until you will find a combination that work.

You would usually use 0.2,0.2,0.2 as a light setting for ambient this is a very dark gray and basically says that when the scene isn't lit use 20% of overall light. The factor on diffuse lighting is then 0.8 to make up the rest of the lighting.

These are very course settings and should be varied on a game to game basis and should prefable be set up by an artist so he/she can determine what the right contribution is.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement