Lighting a billboard quad

Started by
11 comments, last by solenoidz 12 years, 6 months ago
@mikiex:
Nice screens. Can you post some screens with local light, close to the ground, for ex. fire.

@Hiyar - "[color=#1C2837][size=2]Your billboards are that big??"
[color="#1c2837"]Well, pretty big i guess, as I'm trying to make lush environments with thick grass cover. Also, some of the big bushes and trees use impostor billboards at distance.
[color="#1c2837"]Should I use normal mapped billboards, to illuminate distant impostors, can I solve my issues with a normal mapped grass blades, as well ?
[color="#1c2837"]

Advertisement

@mikiex:
Nice screens. Can you post some screens with local light, close to the ground, for ex. fire.

I dont have any shots with a realtime light affecting it, infact I cannot remember even if it did light the grass as well.
I only posted these because I was quite happy with the results and 80% of making it look good was the correcrt textures.

Last time I worked on some grass (this year) it was a forward renderer and the most imporant thing was keeping the cost of the shader down, it was as simple as prebaking a single lighting value for each quad (randomly rotated in the Y), not very high tech but all that the hardware(ps3/360)/engine/time really could offer. No dynamic lighting at all, if we had it would of been very cheap.

I guess with deferred you dont need to worry about the cost so much, as no overdraw on your lighting.
I ended up with the normal, taken from the terrain bellow. Looks OK for now.
Thank you all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement