Will this new rpg work?

Started by
44 comments, last by Bigdeadbug 12 years, 6 months ago
Still I don't know. This is not to say that I'm refusing but I have been doing this all the time. I've read a lot of books and well i found them a bit dry and nothing has made me like them except some books like treasure island of course.

How should I write the story in video games anyway? by pictures or paragraphs? I think if its pictures it'll be easier for you guys to understand a bit.
Advertisement
Are you saying that you've read books in general, or books specific to writing stories or story structure? The latter, while often dry, will help you in designing a story that people will like, just as you liked Treasure Island. If you feel that you aren't getting that from novels I understand, but it's very hard to extract that knowledge directly.

You can write the story however you want, story boards are fine for demonstrating your concepts and laying out scenes. However, for actually nailing down the specifics of the story you'll probably want something more like a movie script. The book (sorry to recommend another book to you) Swords and Circuitry has some examples of this style that you could use. If you're talking about a story for us here to look at, bear in mind that you aren't going to be able to post the whole thing here. You've already given us a good overview, a lot of the quality left to demonstrate is only going to show in the execution.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Thanks. I wonder if this mechanic can be possible in game maker?

Thanks. I wonder if this mechanic can be possible in game maker?

Eh? Of course it's possible. Not that the design has pretty much anything to do with how you go about making the game.

So yeah. Your proposed mechanic would work in pretty much every development tool known to man -- including GM. Hmm. That makes me curious, wonder if this would work in RPGMaker? Never checked it out much so perhaps it doesn't support anything but vertical leveling?
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
On second thought, I'll wait till I work with a company for this one. Besides I don't know if you can draw vector graphics on game maker. And I might screw it up at this point. The art for the game needs to be detailed. And since no one can work for free, I'd rather wait till its time.

Right now i'm gonna make freeware games. I know it won't be recognized like all those games but its still fun.

On second thought, I'll wait till I work with a company for this one. Besides I don't know if you can draw vector graphics on game maker. And I might screw it up at this point. The art for the game needs to be detailed. And since no one can work for free, I'd rather wait till its time.

Right now i'm gonna make freeware games. I know it won't be recognized like all those games but its still fun.

For the mechanic at least I would try and implement it in even a rough version of a game as a proof of concept. Chances are any company you join (assuming you didn't start it yourself) would (at the very least) be very wary of doing a game like this. They are much more likely to do it if you can prove to them it will work, even if you find the whole thing falls apart there no money lost.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement