what is the .net framework?

Started by
10 comments, last by JonBonazza 12 years, 6 months ago

I won't argue that iostream isn't part of the standard, because it is, along with various other libraires. However when someone says "what is C++" how would you define it? In my opinion ...

I wouldn't have to define it; it's already been done by the standards committee. Is this reasoning fallacious?

Declaring that the java SDK is java or that stdlib or iostream is C++ is a huge misconception, one that can only be realized when one "[color="#1C2837"]decouples the thoughts of combining Libraries and Languages together," as noted by alnite.
[color="#1C2837"][/quote]
[color="#1c2837"]Maybe it's a "huge misconception" to actually decouple the thoughts in this case...? I might agree on Java though, afaik Java isn't standardized by a body like the ISO.
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]I guess my point is that you shouldn't treat the C++ standard library as a second-class citizen, though you can of course choose not to use it.
Advertisement

...1) I wouldn't have to define it; it's already been done by the standards committee. Is this reasoning fallacious?

[color="#1c2837"]...2) Maybe it's a "huge misconception" to actually decouple the thoughts in this case...? I might agree on Java though, afaik Java isn't standardized by a body like the ISO.

[color="#1c2837"]...3) I guess my point is that you shouldn't treat the C++ standard library as a second-class citizen, though you can of course choose not to use it.

1) I was just curious to see your definition, that's all.
2) You are missing the point of "standardization."
3) the C++ standard library is a great library, however it is just that; a library. In your previous post, you mentioned iostream being a subset of C++. It would be more correct to say that iostream is a subset of stdlib. stdlib, however, is NOT a subset of C++.

I suppose this entire argument boils down to "What is the purpose of a standards comittee?"

This is where you seem to be confused.

Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement