stl:list iterator error: list iterators incompatible

Started by
5 comments, last by rip-off 12 years, 6 months ago
I've got code which loops through a list using an iterator. It performs a check on that object and if the condition fails, the item is deleted using the list::erase() method.

std::list<cHBGameObject*>::iterator i;

//remove any object that has passed the cutoff
if(!lObjects.empty())
{
i = lObjects.begin();

while (i != lObjects.end())
{
if((*i)->checkIfOverDeletionThreshold(xDeletionPoint))
lObjects.erase(i);
else
++i;
}

}

In this case, the crash occurs if there is only 1 remaining object and the object is deleted, then when it returns to the "while" statement, the error is thrown.

I can sort of see where I'm going wrong, I think when it hits "while", because the list is empty, it may be that the iterator no longer points to anything valid. I have looked up examples to make sure I'm not doing it wrong but every analogous example I have seen have suggested this approach to looping through a list where you may delete objects. Besides, being able to delete objects in this manner is one of lists' advantages over vectors, no?

Could someone kindly point out where I am going wrong?
Advertisement
The erase method returns a new iterator pointing to the next element. Try something like this:

while(i != objects.end()) {
if(i->delete())
i = objects.erase(i);
else
++i;
}
Apologies, I fixed it, here was the problem:

std::list<cHBGameObject*>::iterator i;

//remove any object that has passed the cutoff
if(!lObjects.empty())
{
i = lObjects.begin();

while (i != lObjects.end())
{
lObjects.erase(i);
else
++i;
}

}

the bolded bit needed to be changed to:

i = lObjects.erase(i);

So that i recieved a valid pointer after the erasure.

Sorry for the wast of time, though if someone else stumbles on this problem, I hope this helps :D

Edit: Thanks Erik, I just spotted that myself :)
It doesn't look like you reassign i after a deletion. erase should return an iterator to the next element in the list.
// Try changing
iObject.erase(i)
// To this
i = lObject.erase(i);

To simply things, you might just use std::remove_if, which is already provided in the <algorithm> header.

You would just need to setup the predicate to do the same test you do now. You could even do this as a lambda if you have a compiler with support for C++11.

(Code below is untested).

std::remove_if(lObjects.begin(), lObjects.end(), [&xDeletionPoint](cHBGameObject* i) -> bool
{
return (*i)->checkIfOverDeletionThreshold(xDeletionPoint);
});

[edit]
Was too slow :)

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

When you erase something you invalidate the iterator. Try this instead:

//...
i = lObjects.erase(i);
else
++i;
// ...

EDIT: was waaaay too slow

It doesn't look like you reassign i after a deletion. erase should return an iterator to the next element in the list.
// Try changing
iObject.erase(i)
// To this
i = lObject.erase(i);

To simply things, you might just use std::remove_if, which is already provided in the <algorithm> header.

You would just need to setup the predicate to do the same test you do now. You could even do this as a lambda if you have a compiler with support for C++11.

(Code below is untested).

std::remove_if(lObjects.begin(), lObjects.end(), [&xDeletionPoint](cHBGameObject* i) -> bool
{
return (*i)->checkIfOverDeletionThreshold(xDeletionPoint);
});

[edit]
Was too slow :)

Just be careful here, because remove_if does not *actually* remove the elements from the list. To do that you need to do,

lObjects.erase(std::remove_if(lObjects.begin(), lObjects.end(), Predicate()), lObjects.end());

where Predicate is a unary functor that calls the checkIfOverDeletionThreshold() on the cHBGameObject pointers.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

std::list has member functions remove() and remove_if(). These perform both the remove and erase action, and are efficient because it avoids traversing the list multiple times.

In general, you don't want to be using std::list though, std::vector is almost always a better choice. The cache coherency and allocation minimisation will mostly trump the theoretical advantages of std::list. You rarely need random insertion, and the cost of random removal can be minimise by using remove_if(), or the swap and pop trick if the order isn't important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement