Programming and best route to go

Started by
8 comments, last by jesse007 12 years, 5 months ago

[quote name='Jesse7' timestamp='1320401712' post='4880422']
[quote name='DarkRayne' timestamp='1320235169' post='4879630']
Hi, I am an equivalent of a junior in Devry's Game and Simulation programming degree. My knowledge in C++ is average and need to take more time to learn more. My question to all is, I reached a point in my classes where I am getting into Unreal UDK. I am really enjoying it, it looks so good. I have a few game ideas that I'd like to explore and possibly put out on an app store when I eventually get more of a grasp on it. Should I be gearing myself more to towards learning to use an engine or start from scratch like C# XNA Framework. Simple games seem to get the most attention. I just see learning C# as something that will be more beneficial because you can release something for mobile devices and make a little money at the same time. I dont see the Apple store to be very good unless you have hell of marketing and there is way too many apps to even get noticed. Just an opinion, Any suggestions/ advice from people who have been there done that ? All is appreciated

I couldn't help but notice the title of your post. The truth is there isn't really a "best route to go." If you enjoy what you are doing (e.g. programming), why would you want someone else to tell you what you "should" be doing? If you enjoy working with UDK, then continue with it. I really don't understand when someone says "I really enjoy doing this" but then they go around asking others to confirm their choices or to suggest a different choice. If you need others to confirm what you are doing then perhaps you really don't enjoy that activity and should spend more time thinking about what it is you want. I get the impression that you want to use your work as a means to make money or gain fame. There's nothing wrong with those, but there are easier ways to get them than with programming. Programming should be an end in itself--something you'd do even if no one paid you a single dime to do it or if no one ever praised your work. It sounds harsh, but that's the attitude of those who succeed in this business.
[/quote]
Or like going into a field like philosophy, yes you may like it, but you may not see much money or opportunity come your way.
[/quote] One of my friends studied philosophy and it's true what you say about the lack of opportunities. Of course, he knew that going into it and it's very likely that he'll never be rich nor will the majority of people ever understand his work. But he also knows that people who succeed don't get to choose their career but the career chooses you. What this means is that a person cannot help but do what they do because they would do it anyway whether they got paid to do it or not. That is why there is a notion of the "starving artist."
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement