Debugging driver crashes...

Started by
1 comment, last by Krypt0n 12 years, 5 months ago
I'm working on a project where the game at certain situations crashes the driver, i.e. i get the message "nVidia OpenGL driver lost connection to the display driver due to a time-out". It happens on multiple PCs, but only with nVidia cards. I've tried many different driver versions and I'm still getting the same issue.

I've been tracking this bug for a while and managed to narrow it down to a single subsystem its behavior is still a bit too random to figure out.

Is there anything that can help me debug this issue better? Some way to find out what was the last command sent and crashed the driver? Or whatever else?
Advertisement

I'm working on a project where the game at certain situations crashes the driver, i.e. i get the message "nVidia OpenGL driver lost connection to the display driver due to a time-out". It happens on multiple PCs, but only with nVidia cards. I've tried many different driver versions and I'm still getting the same issue.

I've been tracking this bug for a while and managed to narrow it down to a single subsystem its behavior is still a bit too random to figure out.

Is there anything that can help me debug this issue better? Some way to find out what was the last command sent and crashed the driver? Or whatever else?

It sounds like what you are doing now, but when I have had to debug issues like that, and didn't have access to the hardware vendor support, I just disabled / commented out code until it didn't crash, to get a better idea of where the issue was. Once you know more precisely what is causing the issue, you can see if you can achieve the same results in a slightly different way. It's always very tedious and time consuming though...
you could increase the timeout time, I think default is 2 seconds, set it to 5 or 10, maybe there is just something especially slow and it's not really a crash.

I think glGetlasterror shall also fail if the driver crashes, you could add this after every drawcalls, this way you'd find in the debugger what is causing the crash.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement