Getting to next level!

Started by
6 comments, last by BeerNutts 12 years, 4 months ago
Hello folks!

I've been studying C++ basics intensivly for about 4-5 weeks now. Would not say Im anywhere near fluent but I do understand whats going on when taking a look at a code that uses the C++ standard template library and I can program very simple games like hangman, tic-tac-toe and tamagouchi like program where you have to take care of a critter. Very basic stuff.

I've been searching for books that can take me to the next level when it comes to programming. And with programming I mean going from textbased games using standard C++ library to 2D games while using other libraries. I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions here but hopefully there are people that have been at the point I'm at atm that can share their experience on how to continue.

Guess Im looking for some open source stuff where I can see how they use C++ to create more advanced game environments etc.
Advertisement
Sounds like you are ready to let go of the book hand holding and start practicing. Learning from a book or tutorial is great to learn syntax, but programming is a skill that requires practice and experience and you only get that by actually doing stuff on your own. So my suggestion would be to set yourself some goal: Create a Tetris or breakout clone, anything, just pick something you think could be fun to make and try to make it. You will probably fail, BUT you will learn something in the process. So start a new project, learn, fail again, and so on until you can get past the simple stuff and start worrying about the advanced stuff. And if you succeed with your first project, you weren't ambitious enough smile.gif

Anyhoo, as for concrete technologies and libraries just use google. Search for "2D library tutorial" or whatever. At this point it doesn't matter much exactly what you use. Heck, I would even suggest sticking with just Win32 GDI for starters.
Run through this tutorial. It will take the C++ training you have so far, and tie it all together while created a fairly simple Pong clone using C++ and SFML. It uses code like you might actually write in the real world, hopefully it helps. It was designed exactly for people like you, with some basic training looking to take the next step.
Serapth's tutorial is good for a beginner. I have a blog (in my sig) where I make a fairly simple 2D game (not as simple as Serapth's pong), but I include a 2d physics library with SFML. So, I'd suggest following Serapth's tutorial. When you're more comfortable with 2D graphics programming, you might want to look at adding a 2d physics library (I use chipmunk-physics) for handling movement and collisions in a 2d world.

When I started using a physics library for my 2d games (specifically 2d action games), it made life so much easier.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Thanks guys! Very much appreciated.

Hello folks!

I've been studying C++ basics intensivly for about 4-5 weeks now. Would not say Im anywhere near fluent but I do understand whats going on when taking a look at a code that uses the C++ standard template library and I can program very simple games like hangman, tic-tac-toe and tamagouchi like program where you have to take care of a critter. Very basic stuff.

I've been searching for books that can take me to the next level when it comes to programming. And with programming I mean going from textbased games using standard C++ library to 2D games while using other libraries. I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions here but hopefully there are people that have been at the point I'm at atm that can share their experience on how to continue.

Guess Im looking for some open source stuff where I can see how they use C++ to create more advanced game environments etc.

Your next step would be using the DIrectX API or a game engine that supports C++ scripting.

Keep in mind that game engines make your life easier since it simplifies many actions that would require lots of code.

DirectX it's more complicated but will let you know all the stuff related to graphic cards.
It depends on what your final goal is, even in the very long term. If you just want to make 2D games, then there are all kinds of libs out there, Ill let other with experience tell you which are best. But for more ambitious projects, or if your trying to learn for the interest of eventually programming for a living, then DirectX is where you want to go next. Yes it is definitely the most complicated next step, but its by far the most powerful option. Learning an engine is good too, but I would still say DX first would let you understand that engine better.
I have to disagree with Drejn and MattOranges. Learning DirectX (or any lower-level API, including OpenGL) is not the best step. Right now, he needs to learning more about game programming, not about a complicated API that will takes much of his energy, and give little in return.

I still say start with an easy API like SFML, get a better grasp on game programming, and enjoy yourself right now.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement