Core Mechanics, Content Gating, Sandboxes, and Radical Change

Started by
10 comments, last by AoS 12 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='Caldenfor' timestamp='1324926206' post='4897473']
Perhaps instead of having "Rifts" you could just have enemy encampments/strongholds that spread out if not contained? Unless these rifts have strategic value to the world that you create it can be quite the nuisance. I originally thought it would be fun and entertaining in Rift, but sadly I just found them to be repetitive and annoying scattered randomly and without reason around the world. They became obstacles to walk around rather than a force I felt I must destroy.

Start with the basics and add to that. Please don't try and make a list of all the features you desire and then cram them in. They either fit or they don't, don't force it. Anyone working towards creating a deep sandbox game with an indie team should seriously consider orthographic/fixed camera 3d view.

Okay so a rift lowercase is no the same as the Rifts in Rift. Firstly an encampment means that the number of monsters is limited. A dimensional rift allows for a continuous flow of creatures. My rifts are permanent for one thing. You cannot "close them" at least not in the way you close one in Rift. Rifts are there to provide the persistent monster eco system and not the dynamic portion of the game. Instead of hand placing monsters and lairs and dungeons and raids they are generated by the program which is also used to assure that the composition of monsters in areas changes overtime and that as players progress in time through crafting and exploration and fighting and organizing the world becomes more dangerous to compensate.

I am not just listing the features. The ideas for feature grow in my mind organically as I discuss and ponder the game and then I look at each idea and say, should I do this? Does it fit with my lore? Is it sandboxy enough?
[/quote]

I didn't think they would be just the same, just saying I wasn't very fond of planar tears unleashing mobs randomly on a world. As I do not know the lore you intend to have for your game I was merely suggesting going towards having enemy strongholds that could disperse the creatures instead of random "rifts". I think it would be fantastic if there were say, an evil wizard or something, that could open up gates/rifts/etc randomly to flood areas of the world with creatures, but on a temporary basis not permanent.

If you can find a way to accurately describe and reason why these rifts would and should exist in a world, I would be more open to the idea, but that is key to anything put into a game. It needs to make sense.
Advertisement

[quote name='AltarofScience' timestamp='1324935700' post='4897497']
[quote name='Caldenfor' timestamp='1324926206' post='4897473']
Perhaps instead of having "Rifts" you could just have enemy encampments/strongholds that spread out if not contained? Unless these rifts have strategic value to the world that you create it can be quite the nuisance. I originally thought it would be fun and entertaining in Rift, but sadly I just found them to be repetitive and annoying scattered randomly and without reason around the world. They became obstacles to walk around rather than a force I felt I must destroy.

Start with the basics and add to that. Please don't try and make a list of all the features you desire and then cram them in. They either fit or they don't, don't force it. Anyone working towards creating a deep sandbox game with an indie team should seriously consider orthographic/fixed camera 3d view.

Okay so a rift lowercase is no the same as the Rifts in Rift. Firstly an encampment means that the number of monsters is limited. A dimensional rift allows for a continuous flow of creatures. My rifts are permanent for one thing. You cannot "close them" at least not in the way you close one in Rift. Rifts are there to provide the persistent monster eco system and not the dynamic portion of the game. Instead of hand placing monsters and lairs and dungeons and raids they are generated by the program which is also used to assure that the composition of monsters in areas changes overtime and that as players progress in time through crafting and exploration and fighting and organizing the world becomes more dangerous to compensate.

I am not just listing the features. The ideas for feature grow in my mind organically as I discuss and ponder the game and then I look at each idea and say, should I do this? Does it fit with my lore? Is it sandboxy enough?
[/quote]

I didn't think they would be just the same, just saying I wasn't very fond of planar tears unleashing mobs randomly on a world. As I do not know the lore you intend to have for your game I was merely suggesting going towards having enemy strongholds that could disperse the creatures instead of random "rifts". I think it would be fantastic if there were say, an evil wizard or something, that could open up gates/rifts/etc randomly to flood areas of the world with creatures, but on a temporary basis not permanent.

If you can find a way to accurately describe and reason why these rifts would and should exist in a world, I would be more open to the idea, but that is key to anything put into a game. It needs to make sense.
[/quote]

The game exists as a theoretically infinite set of game worlds in a universe ala multiple planes. Rifts are doorways from other worlds. Rifts are permanent tears in reality which allow monsters through from their home realm. The rift system replaces the hand placed respawning in most games like WoW. The interactions from the rift and nesting systems are what allow the game to by dynamic with shifting conditions in various areas, with making it possible to travel far away from the starting area and still be able to have content you can deal with. The rift system is what allows other worlds because we don't have to hand place all the game assets like lairs and shit which also would eventually run out of creatures. You have failed to explain how once you kill the camps or w/e you would deal with the fact that players would quickly slaughter all the creatures from a camp which has no way of obtaining reinforcements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement