Need Ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by reisama 12 years, 2 months ago
Hey

I'm slowly building a model for my game, but need ideas to add to it for more detail, any one got any creative ideas i can add to this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zyj0gw.png
Advertisement
Some piles of sawdust definitely wouldn't be out of place given the saw.
Animation / spriting bloggity blog thingoo:
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1367-chriss-animation-blorg/
I thought about that - though have to work out how im going model such a thing in Blender =/
so, it's a sawmill game?
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Look at some other games or real saw mills. First of all you forgot a roof, you don't want your wood to get all wet and moldy unless it's a mushroom farm :D. I can come up with loads of stuff you can add. I name a couple:

Crates, barrels, axes, hand saws, chopped wood, carts, shed/barn, storage, light source, work bench, a broken saw blade or crane.

Think of a story that fits it's theme. Maybe the worker there left his hat, or is an alcoholic and you put a bottle of rum somewhere.

I thought about that - though have to work out how im going model such a thing in Blender =/

Just make some random piles, unwrap them and put a sawmill dust texture on it. You could make it fancy if you would stick some broken pieces of wood in it too.
Those logs look perfectly round. I've cut a few trees in my day, and not a single one of them was perfectly round. Also, there should be more detail on the texture applied to the cut ends of the logs, as right now the gray disks that they have look out of place compared to the bark texture.

The two lever/lift thingies look un-textured and out of place to me. Are they supposed to be of metal? Maybe add some rust and grime. It's also not immediately clear what their purpose is; perhaps add a log in a sling to one, and have it be captured as if in motion. The whole thing lacks a sense that it is an actual functioning saw mill. As other posters have said, there is none of the debris and clutter that there should be. All the machinery is lined up in exact 90 degree angles, as if it were erected on a grid then never touched again. Even the wood is all precisely lined up, except for one rough-cut timber which is slightly out of place, and which serves only to draw attention to the rigidity of the rest of the scene.

One thing that I have found to be immensely helpful is to pay attention to interfaces where surfaces and objects come together and touch. For example, where your saw rests on the ground. In real life, these kinds of places tend to provide sheltered little nooks where weeds can take root, where piles of debris can gather, etc... Adding some ground clutter to your interfaces can hide the rigid, unnaturally straight lines of a low-poly model and help eliminate the illusion of a perfect object resting on a perfectly flat colored surface that you get so often in 3D scenes.

There is a texturing issue on the round base of your right-hand lift, where the texture is obviously just projected onto the top of the disk and stretched down the sides.
Something to think about is also how you use shadows.

Your logs, due to the shadow look like they are off the ground. This same problem can be seen with your cut lumber as well. where it appears to be floating with nothing underneath

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement