Accelerated c++

Started by
8 comments, last by marvel_magnum 12 years, 2 months ago
Is accelerated a good c++ book to learn the language? I know a fair amount of Java and was told this would be a good book for me. Opinions/suggestions on other books? Thanks!
Advertisement
Good book IMO. It focuses on getting things done, understanding the language and how the standard library works. This approach means that Classes are introduced late in the book. It's not a book for beginners, and I recommend having C or another "low-level" language under the belt, so you know better what you're getting into.

Read an introduction text to C or C++, then follow this book (or any other nice one). Finding also a proper language and standard library reference is necessary, since the book doesn't have this.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

It's not a book for beginners,

Bottomline.

A great book though but you will only start to appreciate it after you come back to it with some knowledge of C++. Why don't you start with C++ Primer ?
Would c++ primer 2 work? That's the only edition I can get my hands on right now. I'm not sure how much has changed throughout the editions.

Would c++ primer 2 work? That's the only edition I can get my hands on right now. I'm not sure how much has changed throughout the editions.

You better off with Accelerated C++ book than older versions of Primer book. The old versions were like 1,000+ pages and unless you are very dedicated reader probably won't finish it. I know I never did. Newest versions book was cut in like 1/2 and so it's way way better.
Keep in mind that Accelerated C++ assumes you already have C experience. At least that's what I remember but it is a pretty short book.
Personally, I'd recommend the Dawson C++ book just because it uses a lot of games which helped me get through the book anyways and it's not dry and academic like the others mentioned.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Actually the C++ Primer 2nd edition is only about 600 pages. I'm only asking about this because It's the only book I have besides the Accelerated c++ which should be here on the 17th, ordered it on Amazon.com
C++ Primer Plus - Fifth Edition would be a great book for anyone starting in C++.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013
Yeah, but the second edition is the only one I have right now and no money to buy more books.
You will be better off to save some money and get a good book, C++ has a steep learning curve as it is. There are a ton of resources online, just watch out for the garbage as many programmers have very bad habits that new programers pick up.

I never learned C++ by reading a full book! Mind you, I've never read a full programming book in my life. You learn how to program by learning the concepts, and making several programs so find a good book with concepts, and start coding!
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013

Yeah, but the second edition is the only one I have right now and no money to buy more books.

In that case, you can check out http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ which is a free online resource and a good one too.

Just read this one and then move on the Accelerated C++. Skip C++ Primer altogether if you are not reading the latest one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement