Good Character Design?

Started by
5 comments, last by eugene2k 12 years, 1 month ago
Halo there!

Since Unity is free for Android, and I have a ZTE Blade and a PC at my finger tips, I think it's time to Start a new Project!
So, I have the basic gameplay down for potentially a cool game, Now I just need some characters really.

The GamePlay is based on Rolling a sphere around, and "tagging" Other sphere's, but I just feel that spheres are pretty lame, so I want to
create a side story to it - similar to Angry Bird - very simple, but effective none the least.

The game is called Flock, as it's based around Flocking Ai from the Sphere your trying to tag - so maybe I was thinking sheep -but that seems to cliché ,

So I have thought about Birds, but i don't who why birds would roll necessarily - then I thought about rolling monsters, but Felt it reassembled to much of Little Deviants for the Vita, so that was out.

I was thinking about what the opposing spheres would do? Whether you would eat them, or whether they just change colour.

I wanted to add multi-player where by P2P you would see who at the end of the round has the most spheres on your team. would be good idea- but again, Don't see what I can do with it when trying to incorporate a story.
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers
Advertisement
I must admit I had to read your post a couple of times before I figured out where you were going with it.

A suggestion I have is the following:

Let us suppose that in addition to your sphere you have different types of characters you can tag for example: sheep, spheres and birds.

If your sphere tags a sheep it takes on a wooly coat which lets it fall greater distances without damage.
If your sphere tags a sphere it becomes a bouncy ball able to bounce over obstacles.
If your sphere tags a bird it grows feathers and can fly small distances.

By incorporating changes to your sphere like this (or with similar features from other characters) you could design rather unique levels through which the sphere is navigated including accessing the "coin/prize" character i.e. the real goal that your sphere is trying to tag.

On a separate note; One character I might suggest is little stick figures. Your sphere could be in similar fashion to Godzilla and roll after the screaming stick figures who try to run away from you.
Not really Where I was going with it :/.
I wanted an ability to jump, by shaking the Phone/Tablet.
What I was talking about, is the actual character the Sphere would be,
Either a Bird (Seems popular with Angry Birds and matches with twitter and as such...)
And The Sheep Idea was something that the player has to chase in order to get points.
The Levels would have a time limit on it (Something like 30 seconds) and the player has to tag a certain amount of Sheep/Spheres as possible to reach to the next round, which would be a bit harder - incorporate Doors and machine Belts and maybe even turrets operated by chickens or something :/
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers
Make the player a virus and the other things some bacteria or cells and you have to infect them to spread further.

o3o

You need turtles rolling on their side, while they are in their shell.
Given the spheres, how about hamsters (or any other rodent or cute little creature for that matter) rolling around in those little hamster balls?

You could also consider creating your own cute little aliens rather than using an existing animal.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think devils that look kind of like balls with tails and horns (refer to the FreeBSD 8.0 logo for inspiration) would be much cuter.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement