Start game programming

Started by
25 comments, last by Serapth 12 years ago
[color=#333333]Hello there!

[color=#333333]I am currently caught in a big loop where i am re-searching all over the place to see what fits my situation the best.
[color=#333333]I currently know PHP, HTML and some mySQL.

[color=#333333]I am looking to start developing games where the user can play it on their web browser (no download needed) but i also would like it to be a multiplayer game.

[color=#333333]The way i want it, is that i would like to game to be integrated into my website and the website into the game.
[color=#333333]I am also looking to have a couple (not one BIG game) other games, that use the same backend (to connect to the website, the user base, etc).

[color=#333333]I was wondering what language is best to hit this with as i do not want to look back, in the future, and have to re-code everything because that X language cannot offer X feature.

[color=#333333]Any help would be very nice of you.

[color=#333333]Thanks
Advertisement
I'm no expert, but you'll probably want to learn either AS3 or Java.
AS3 is pretty novice friendly and it's what "flash" games run on. Flash games are pretty B/A but support mainly 2D with some theoretical 3D coming out in probably five years.
Java is what MineCraft and RuneScape run on.
There seems to be a lot of technology coming out soon though, I think Silverlight is Microsoft's attempt at competing with AS3. Google around "browser game programming languages".

Unity also runs in the browser, and it's done in C# I think. That's Microsoft's attempt at competing with Java. Everyone loves C#, especially beginners. It's really the closest thing to what my dream language would be. It's kind of new though, so there isn't a whole lot about it. At least you know what you find won't be outdated lol. Also I don't know of any games that've successfully used Unity for browser games but I'm not into the whole Unity thing so I wouldn't know.

So yeah, look up Java example code, check out Unity, and hit up AS3 example code.
You have a lot of choices here.

Good luck soldier.
I asked around and i was told

Silverlight is a really pain to work with.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Also, don't most of the stuff java can do on the web can be done with CSS/HTML5?[/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Thanks[/font]

I'm not too sure about 'web games' as my expertise is not in that department, but I've heard good things about HTML5 for games.

Check out the following site for resources: http://html5games.com/resources/
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013
I am currently really unsure on what to do.

Would HTML5, PHP, Flash and javascript be "powerful" enough on the long run for me?

Meaning, later on, when i start getting use to game development, i would want to create more and more complex games for my site and i am scared that i won't have in knowledge the right languages to do so.

Am i completely wrong?

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about later on, worry about today. Right now I'm assuming you have an empty portfolio for developed games? Make a few games in HTML5 or whatever you choose. All the skills and concepts are always transferable down the road.

Everyone starts some where, and in all honesty don't worry about powerful enough if you haven't reached the limits that language/engine has to offer. More advanced programmers know several languages. I started with BASIC, didn't like it for games and went to C++, learned C and C# as well, plus HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP so never think you're stuck with one option, always remember nothing you have learned is a wasted effort.

What is important is to start making games, however you decide to accomplish this task doesn't matter.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013
Javascript is probably the future, as disturbingly stupid as that is. Than again, you strip away all the DOM related garbage, and aside from some seriously stupid scoping and allocation rules ( it's farrrrr farrrrr farrrrrrrrr too easy to mute out an existing variable, or worse, create a new global by accident ), it's a pretty interesting language.

As every single company on earth seems to be betting the farm on HTML5/Javascript ( Microsoft and Adobe both ), it seems a pretty good bet that Javascript is going to be a very viable choice in the future. I did a tutorial recently on using Node (Javascript server side ) for game networking with C++ on the front end, and my god is it easy with Javascript. Currently I am working on a cross platform project using Titanium ( again Javascript powered ) and I am very impressed.

Meaning, later on, when i start getting use to game development, i would want to create more and more complex games for my site and i am scared that i won't have in knowledge the right languages to do so.

Programming skill and improper requirements will restrict you more than language knowledge will.

Frankly, the 'must run in a web browser' is a huge restriction on what you can do; far more than your language choice will ever be.
Between Javascript and PHP there is very little that you won't be able to do. With the relatively recent addition of HTML5's canvas tag, there is a huge move towards browser-native game development. As an example, take a look at this project: http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/. It's a lot of work but, as Serapth said, JS is the future and it's definitely powerful enough for what you're looking to do
Would PHP, JavaScript and HTML5 allow the multiplayer/online game play?

Also thank you very much for all your comments and help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement