What is this I don't even? (How does I make game?)

Started by
3 comments, last by AbstractFragment 12 years ago
Hey, I'm new to the game designing/making scene and I've just picked up the Love 2D engine and have my whole game idea kind of mapped out. It's a sort of horror/platforming game with some shooting elements.

What I'm at a loss for is where to begin. Namely I don't know much about how to do anything with Lua other than I'm going to need to write an intepreter in C basic I think.
Advertisement
Why would you need to "write an interpreter in C basic"?

I'd say a good place to start would be Love's own tutorial section.
I'll check that out thanks,

it was some book I read that said I needed to write an interpreter before I could do anything with Lua.
Whatever book told you that, throw it away. The Lua distribution comes with the interpreter, as well as the library code needed to embed the interpreter in your application if so desired. Just head to Lua's webpage, download an installation, fire up lua.exe and go to town. And if you want to eke out that last little bit of performance (note: you probably won't need to), there is always LuaJIT, a drop-in replacement .DLL that implements the Lua virtual machine as a just-in-time compiler.

So, no, you don't need to write an interpreter. All the hard work is done for you in that regard.
Alright awesome. I think it was actually written a while ago back when Lua was just a baby thing that was not widely heard of. Thanks for the direction!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement