Lighting the back of triangle

Started by
3 comments, last by SimonForsman 12 years ago
Hi,

In DirectX the back of a triangle is drawn black, but I get the impression that in OpenGL this is not the case and both sides will be lit. I am not talking about Culling, no culling is assumed here.

So in other words if I want both side of a triangle to be lit in DirectX I need to draw two triangles wound in opposite directions and of course with normal’s pointing away from each other (need to cull in opposite directions as well).

In OpenGL this is not necessary, I am I right in my assumptions?

Thanks

Julian
Advertisement

Hi,

In DirectX the back of a triangle is drawn black, but I get the impression that in OpenGL this is not the case and both sides will be lit. I am not talking about Culling, no culling is assumed here.

So in other words if I want both side of a triangle to be lit in DirectX I need to draw two triangles wound in opposite directions and of course with normal’s pointing away from each other (need to cull in opposite directions as well).

In OpenGL this is not necessary, I am I right in my assumptions?

Thanks

Julian

With OpenGL you can get the fixed function per vertex lighting to affect both sides if you use GL_LIGHT_MODEL_TWO_SIDE
it is however fairly inefficient and might actually cause the hardware to draw two triangles on older hardware. (and possibly modern hardware aswell depending on the driver quality)

If you are using modern Direct3D or OpenGL you can have your pixel/fragmentshader invert the normals for any backfacing triangles that you want lit.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thanks for the reply, that sound interesting, I will take a look at it.

Julian
Hello Julian

In DirectX (10 at least) you can use the semantic SV_IsFrontFace in the pixel shader input :

float4 PS(PS_INPUT input,bool isFrontFace : SV_IsFrontFace) : SV_Target
{
float3 normal=normalize(input.vNormalWorld);
if (!isFrontFace) normal*=-1.0f; // rendering the back face, so I invert the normal
// ....
}

Maybe you can find something equivalent for OpenGL ?

Nico

Hello Julian
[quote name='Talyrond' timestamp='1333483109' post='4927984']

In DirectX (10 at least) you can use the semantic SV_IsFrontFace in the pixel shader input :

float4 PS(PS_INPUT input,bool isFrontFace : SV_IsFrontFace) : SV_Target
{
float3 normal=normalize(input.vNormalWorld);
if (!isFrontFace) normal*=-1.0f; // rendering the back face, so I invert the normal
// ....
}

Maybe you can find something equivalent for OpenGL ?

Nico
[/quote]

gl_FrontFacing
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/manglsl/xhtml/gl_FrontFacing.xml

same thing, also an input variable for the pixel/fragment shader
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement