Feedback/Interest in open-world rp-fps

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 12 years, 1 month ago
Hey y'all,
Some may recognize me from some rather unsuccessful attempts at throwing together a dev team a while back in the "Help Wanted" area before it became "Classifieds." Although I'm still looking for talent, and I would love it if someone stated their interest in aiding the effort, I come here for another reason, also.
I'm looking for general input on this project topic, titled "The Edge"... I personally see a bit of potential in the concept, and I would love to continue to polish it. Constructive criticism is greatly needed.

Here is the original topic. It's lengthy and wordy, so reading the overall description should give you the general idea.
http://www.gamedev.n...__fromsearch__1
[attachment=8145:TheEdgePoster.jpg]

Please note, for interested parties;
[color=#ff0000][RECRUITING STUFF REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Thanks,
-Marcus
Advertisement
The main body of information without the marketing/classifieds stuff

I come here for another reason, also.
I'm looking for general input on this project topic, titled "The Edge"... I personally see a bit of potential in the concept, and I would love to continue to polish it. Constructive criticism is greatly needed.

Here is the original topic. It's lengthy and wordy, so reading the overall description should give you the general idea.
http://www.gamedev.n...__fromsearch__1

Project name:
WIP title; "The Edge"

Brief description:
"The Edge" is to be an open-world, dynamic FPS with some RPG elements. It has been under conceptual development for some time, though with little advancement as a coherent product. As of now, I have been the individual solely responsible for this project. I feel that the concept has been worked enough to take it to the next step; the inclusion of a team. A largely non-character-driven narrative about the conflict taking place in one of man's last metropolises, sandwiched between a desert wasteland and an endless ocean, the dystopian government clashes with a massive movement of low-income slum dwellers. While a somewhat tired setting, the proposed project implements some very radical gameplay elements. Firstly, a non-character-dependent dynamic environment. According to this theory, for example, should a riot occur downtown, the exchange of fire could be heard all over the city, warning the player to either keep clear or join the fray. If he should decide to enlist as a pro-government fighter, a new hierarchy of opportunities would present itself. However, upon fighting for the rebel's cause, he might find his section of slums raided in the night in search for rebels. Additionally, non-reversible, dramatic repercussions for actions would be common.
[/quote]

Additional Info:
Read all of this only if you are interested in what I hope to be the final product-- these are not my current expectations.

Story:
A city on the edge of the American continent was commissioned by the United Nations when mankind took a turn for the worst. One of the four major colonies, Metropolis Gabriel, is the birthplace of the game's protagonist. Raised in the slums surrounding the city, the player's game experiences begin when he is sent by his family to the great city to attempt to make something of his life. Immediately relocated to a low-income district, the player is offered a rudimentary home and some funds. Then, the game's first phase begins, the decision phase. Although this phase can go on as long as required, it essentially consists of the player taking one of the following paths; Joining the people's movement, taking interests in becoming a political figure, or enlisting in the military. After a training phase, the player enters the actual game, which although would have an ending, would be played potentially indefinitely. By using a comprehensive and dynamic game world, it would be possible to provide very different game types depending on the player's choices with little extra work-- since each of the roles are being simultaneously ran regardless of the player's role.
The storyline would change from each playthrough, also, using an "Apocalypse Engine..."
Essentially, this system would choose major events from a list at random and inject them into the game, providing entirely new opportunities for the player such as;
Catastrophic flood;
As a People's Fighter: The player would have to survive on limited resources and traverse dangerous flooded areas on boat, at risk from marauding survivors.
As a Politician: The player would have to organize recovery operations across the city and personally observe the construction of water barriers.
As a Soldier: The player would perform riverboat patrols and recovery operations via helicopter.
Wartime;
As a People's Fighter: The player would be tasked with defending the city under government commission alongside the army, providing the challenges of a new enemy with superior firepower.
As a Politician: Distributing propaganda, designating resources such as weapons and support which could be pivotal to the war effort.
As a Soldier: Intense, frontline combat.

The two given are only examples, and I feel that they demonstrate how only a few modifications to the base content would be necessary for each.

Game Dynamics:
Essentially, 3 separate gaming styles would be given... One for the median player with a good mix of battle but also freedom to explore, one for the combat-loving soldier and one for the strategist who enjoys political simulation and decision-making power.
A somewhat large environment would be given, divided into a central metropolis cityscape, some concrete suburbs with lots of flood routes (much akin to the environments shown in the animated film "Akira,") a surrounding sea of sand and finally a literal sea. The last two would, obviously, not require much effort in creating.
Combat would be largely limited to ambushes and short patrol skirmishes. Thus, a multitude of opportunities would be given to the player outside the obvious "creep up and shoot." Booby trapping a telephone pole, entering via sewer, sabotaging or blocking a main road, cutting a house's power with some wire cutters or moving in via rooftop, I hope would all be options.
A realistic wounding system would also be used, making a single bullet the difference between life and death. A bullet in the leg would slow movement for a period, a tag in the chest would decrease stamina and a nearby explosion could concuss for a short time. Unless treated by a hospital or underground doctor or effects postponed by an adrenaline shot, the player could experience these problems for up to a week in game time.
Although eating and drinking would not be a gameplay feature, sleeping after each game day (about 1 hour) would be a necessity.
A dynamic world would leave the player in the dark at times, should a pivotal battle occur and influence faction relations without his knowledge, so any such conflicts would have to be made immediately apparent by visible news helicopters circling and realistically resonant explosions.
Similar to the mechanics used in "Mercenaries 2," roadblocks could be set up and moved depending on the global situation. Also, for example, a recently battled zone or a blown bridge would be blocked off for repairs or be replaced by a military-grade steel bridge.

Essential Points:
Even with all of the above, combat would be minimal
. A realistic wound system would keep the player from entering random engagements, as would the rarity of weapons aside from thrown objects for all but the Army occupation.

I AM aware of how hopeful this all sounds, but I am convinced that it is all doable with a good foundation. I'm more or less hitting with a good portion of what I hope for in order to attract real creative interest. Thus, I hope any interested party recognizes this plethora of information as an honest creative effort and not necessarily as all being doable. But, the closer the better!

ANY is ENCOURAGED

Thank you for reading!
[/quote]
As you're obviously already aware, recruiting posts should go in the classifieds section -- and although you've said that's not all this post is about, the entire lengthy post is focussed on recruiting with only a single line requestion feedback and constructive criticism, and you'v not even bothered to re-type or even cut&paste the game description into this topic.

I'm closing this topic, and removing your contact and recruiting information -- please use classifieds if you wish to recruit help.

If you want feedback and constructive criticism, you're welcome and encouraged to post again in this forum without all the recruiting stuff.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement