OpenGL Book

Started by
1 comment, last by TkTk 11 years, 11 months ago
This has probably been answered a thousand times but what is a good book that starts simple for beginners in openGL?
Advertisement
"The OpenGL SuperBible" has been a popular introductory text to OpenGL for some years. The latest edition (5th, I believe?) drops the fixed-function stuff and focuses on modern OpenGL.

"Interactive Computer Graphics - A Top-Down Approach With [Shader-Based] OpenGL" is also a good one to look at. The goal of that book is not so much to teach OpenGL, but graphics theory. You learn the basics of OpenGL in the process. Older editions did not include "Shader-Based" in the title as they deal primarily with the fixed-function pipeline. But the latest (6th) edition is based on OpenGL 3.2.

"The OpenGL SuperBible"
"Interactive Computer Graphics - A Top-Down Approach With [Shader-Based] OpenGL"

Two great suggestions, however I would personally take a different approach if you're strictly looking to OpenGL. The "OpenGL Programming Guide", official red book, is often the first port of call when moving into OpenGL programming. It is the definitive guide to working in OpenGL, but isn't the best of tutorials when it comes to easing beginners into things.

I highly recommend "[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Computer Graphics Through OpenGL : From Theory to Experiments". It will teach you the underlying theories of graphics programming, yet will centre itself around use of the OpenGL. It's well structured, with many experiments, exercises and demonstrations along the way. I found it the best way to systematically work through OpenGL from the bottom up, without missing the fundamentals of graphics.[/font]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement