UDK or Unity? The best game engine for beginners?

Started by
60 comments, last by Kavin Kumar 11 years, 2 months ago
@m6DEEp and Simon forsman,

Well I get the software for free (can qualify as a student, though I don't go to gaming school...) now the original plan when I'm finished with my first few projects I want to send them over on the web to wherever I can get a little extra money at first, then maybe port the better idea to a console or so. But you can't do that, what's the point?

M6dEEp- unity does have a full free version, but the only difference is, is that the unity free version people compare to a "trial" because you don't get some rendering, shading, glass refraction, and water features but other than that, it's full, free, and you can send your game away on the web.

>once I learn unreal script I will be sure to switch over to UDK, or maybe learn another for Cryengine! The Cryengine is really cool...but my laptop was running a forest demo at 2 fps...woops!

Thanks for the comments Simon forsman and m6dEEp! I really appreciate them! And hopefully my questions can all be answered!
Advertisement
Hi,
I am new to this forum but have worked with both Unity and UDK on game projects.

The choice of engine depends on the type of game you want to make.

If you want the game to be a shooter type game, either first person or third person, the UDK is the more attractive choice, with more features to play with and many tutorials to help you out. Other types of games are managable with the UDK but need a lot of programming to implement.

With Unity you have more freedom to try different game types either 2D or 3D because you can (and in most cases have to) write every single aspect of your game on your own.

There are many different ways to start developing a game but the first is always the concept, what kind of game do you want to make (different genres have different dependencies), what perspective are you using (1st or 3rd person, 2D or 3D) and after that the choice of engine or middleware is much easier because you can look at existing games and learn how they were developed.

If it is your first game project it is easier to make a clone of an existing game than making your own because you learn a lot by i.e. designing a mario clone that works fine but is nothing new. With the experience you got from that clone project you can go on to harder challenges like making a small game that is not a clone.
Starting i.e. a MMORPG without prior experience in game development is a challenge that might be too much for you and you will fail with a high percentage.
Start small and add challenges graduly (or like Bob would say, "Babysteps down the hall, babysteps to the elevator").

so long,
Apolyon

>once I learn unreal script I will be sure to switch over to UDK, or maybe learn another for Cryengine! The Cryengine is really cool...but my laptop was running a forest demo at 2 fps...woops!

The Cryengine is even more restricted than the UDK in game types that you can manage to build with it. The free SDK is a gloryfied map editor for Crysis 2. You are only able to make mods or even mutators for the game and not make a new game with it
I actually advice you to start with Unity and have a c# reference book by side. like- deitels C# how to program, and then you come up with a fairly small game idea, try to get your feet wet, when stuck search for it until you find it, in the reference books or in online unity tutorials etc. in this way you will get a good idea in which direction to go and what to do. Good Luck smile.png

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

Yes UDK is more biased toward action games, shooters especially. Do take note that you are mostly limited by your ingenuity and creativity. I have seen plenty of games created purely using Kismet (the engine's visual scripting language for those who don't know) albeit limited. The best advice I can give is to learn how to use the tools provided. The one thing that kind of sucks is that the engine's renderer makes things look pretty good with minimal amounts of effort, so you feel the constant pressure to have better art all the time. Well, at least it was that way for me.

[quote name='Chris941' timestamp='1340186546' post='4950905']

The Cryengine is even more restricted than the UDK in game types that you can manage to build with it. The free SDK is a gloryfied map editor for Crysis 2. You are only able to make mods or even mutators for the game and not make a new game with it
[/quote]

I see, that probably explains why there are people making Crysis 2 "sequels".

Yes UDK is more biased toward action games, shooters especially. Do take note that you are mostly limited by your ingenuity and creativity. I have seen plenty of games created purely using Kismet (the engine's visual scripting language for those who don't know) albeit limited. The best advice I can give is to learn how to use the tools provided. The one thing that kind of sucks is that the engine's renderer makes things look pretty good with minimal amounts of effort, so you feel the constant pressure to have better art all the time. Well, at least it was that way for me.

Well at one point i'd like to make a shooter, but it'd have to be pretty unique, not remaking a game thats similar in gameplay or style (like most) i agree, limited by ingenuity and creativity...and knowledge. I think i'll stick with Unity, if its easier than UDK, and then switch over after i have some coding and a game under my belt.
Does anybody know a good text editor to write code in? for Javascript?
Unity is better to start of with
New ambition: make a game with dinosaurs that doesnt suck...I have many scenarios already planned out...and it steers away from guns. Anyway do Unreal is better off for shooters, but Unity is easier to start off with? Just learned te GUI of Unity and needed a text editor to start scripting. Or do I not need one?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement