UDK or Unity? The best game engine for beginners?

Started by
60 comments, last by Kavin Kumar 11 years, 1 month ago

New ambition: make a game with dinosaurs that doesnt suck...I have many scenarios already planned out...and it steers away from guns. Anyway do Unreal is better off for shooters, but Unity is easier to start off with? Just learned te GUI of Unity and needed a text editor to start scripting. Or do I not need one?

Unity does have a script editor built-in, MonoDevelop, but it's missing a few nice features to have, so I personally switched to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Pro, which I got for free being a student. I believe you can get Visual Studio Express for free student-or-not though, if you prefer it over MonoDevelop. I'm programming in C# on a Windows platform, tho. If you're using JavaScript/UnityScript, you might be better off just using MonoDevelop.

The Unify Community website does list some recommended editors, too, but honestly... it's just personal preference:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Script_Editors
Advertisement
Unity all the way. Just because games like batman and gears of war where made with unreal doesn't mean it's the best for us noobs to start using. Unity has tons of tutorials. A great community, Awesome documentation, assets to get your game rolling, Not to mention it supports c# which is a great language to start with, And is soo easy to port to other platforms its retarded so head over to the walker boy studio website right now and start learning.http://www.walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html
What exactly will I have to use with Unity? So I can use monodevelop but what about middleware? Or 3ds max/ maya will I need any of those, or whatever would be helpful for Unity? And how does one upload art for a game in unity?

What exactly will I have to use with Unity? So I can use monodevelop but what about middleware? Or 3ds max/ maya will I need any of those, or whatever would be helpful for Unity? And how does one upload art for a game in unity?

Any 3d modeller that can export to .FBX, .dae, .3DS, .dxf or .obj works, on the Unity website the following are listed as supported:
Maya, Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Cheetah3D, Modo, Lightwave, Blender. (Allthough other tools will work aswell), FBX is probably the best format to export/import as since it includes everything, (some of the other formats can only store static or keyframe animated meshes for example)
for texture creation you can use tools like gimp, paint.net, photoshop, paintshop pro, ms paint, etc. (Any tool that can create/modify 2 dimensional images works here)
for sound/music anything goes aswell, Audacity is fairly popular(for sound effects atleast) but the built in sound recorder in windows work aswell smile.png (Supported formats are ogg, mpeg(1/2/3) wav, aiff, mod, it, s3m, xm) (for good music apps you'd have to ask a composer, allthough something like fasttracker might work for you (its fairly easy to use)
You cannot add any middleware to Unity Free (you need the pro version to do that), most of what you need should be included allready though.

To add art assets to your game you just have to click the assets menu and select import assets.

Oh, and Unity 4 will be released soon (i just got my pre-order discount offer from them)(it adds quite alot of nice things)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Oh, and Unity 4 will be released soon (i just got my pre-order discount offer from them)(it adds quite alot of nice things)
Including linux support which is something I've been waiting for, native builds of kerbal space program hopefully :D although KSP does run in wine.

OP, no need for monodevelop. Unity has all the compilers and code editors you need built in.

OP, no need for monodevelop. Unity has all the compilers and code editors you need built in.

Unity installs monodevelop for you and uses that to edit and debug scripts.

[quote name='Chris941' timestamp='1340450837' post='4951977']

Any 3d modeller that can export to .FBX, .dae, .3DS, .dxf or .obj works, on the Unity website the following are listed as supported:
Maya, Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Cheetah3D, Modo, Lightwave, Blender. (Allthough other tools will work aswell), FBX is probably the best format to export/import as since it includes everything, (some of the other formats can only store static or keyframe animated meshes for example)
for texture creation you can use tools like gimp, paint.net, photoshop, paintshop pro, ms paint, etc. (Any tool that can create/modify 2 dimensional images works here)
for sound/music anything goes aswell, Audacity is fairly popular(for sound effects atleast) but the built in sound recorder in windows work aswell smile.png (Supported formats are ogg, mpeg(1/2/3) wav, aiff, mod, it, s3m, xm) (for good music apps you'd have to ask a composer, allthough something like fasttracker might work for you (its fairly easy to use)
You cannot add any middleware to Unity Free (you need the pro version to do that), most of what you need should be included allready though.

To add art assets to your game you just have to click the assets menu and select import assets.

[/quote]

Thank you for the info Simon! i will remember that!

Now, one big question as i start out, i need the proper mindset. And that question of how to create this always comes to mind, and i start thinking of things that could happen hours into the game or towards the ending. So my question is, what is the proper mindset? what should you do first when creating a game? what about cinematics? menus? scenes act as levels right? so should i start with terrain, skybox, creating buildings? When AAA-like game developers start a project, what is the first thing to do? do they start drawing up levels and such? or storyboards or what? If i can understand what i should start out with, i can actually begin. Right now i'm looking over the scripting tutorial on Unity, will have to print that out.
I can read the manual, print out tutorials and work my way around learning a few things in a few days, but i'm just not sure exactly how to start for the game.
Make a concept of the kind of game you want to make, like genre, perspective and so on, and then pick the most important mechanic or the most important aspect of the game and start there. Make a small prototype containing only the needed features and make that work.
For a platformer that would be displaying some placeholder platforms and a placeholder character and let it jump from platform to platform.
After you are satisfied with that aspect start adding new features but always test them out before adding new ones.

In projects I worked with we always started with a bare prototype, in one case we even made a paper prototype before even starting the computer. Things like menues and HUDs always came later unless they were necessary for the prototype to work.

Now, one big question as i start out, i need the proper mindset. And that question of how to create this always comes to mind, and i start thinking of things that could happen hours into the game or towards the ending. So my question is, what is the proper mindset? what should you do first when creating a game? what about cinematics? menus? scenes act as levels right? so should i start with terrain, skybox, creating buildings? When AAA-like game developers start a project, what is the first thing to do? do they start drawing up levels and such? or storyboards or what? If i can understand what i should start out with, i can actually begin. Right now i'm looking over the scripting tutorial on Unity, will have to print that out.

The first thing you should do is implement the core gameplay, a quick and dirty prototype works just fine for this purpose, being able to test

Make a concept of the kind of game you want to make, like genre, perspective and so on, and then pick the most important mechanic or the most important aspect of the game and start there. Make a small prototype containing only the needed features and make that work.
For a platformer that would be displaying some placeholder platforms and a placeholder character and let it jump from platform to platform.
After you are satisfied with that aspect start adding new features but always test them out before adding new ones.

In projects I worked with we always started with a bare prototype, in one case we even made a paper prototype before even starting the computer. Things like menues and HUDs always came later unless they were necessary for the prototype to work.

This is what i do aswell, core gameplay first, if the core mechanics are boring or if my own incompetence prevents me from making them fun it becomes pointless to add the rest, with Unity you can create a quick prototype in a few hours.

Also, to get you started with Unity (or any other engine), make a pong clone, it is one of the fastest games to make yet covers all the important aspects of a game, in Unity you'd do this by:
1) Create gameobjects for the paddles, the ball and a gamearea(2 walls and a floor). (The built in cube and sphere shapes are good enough for this, so no need to create custom models)
2) Write a script to let you control one (or both) of the paddles using the keyboard (or mouse).
3) Write a script to give the ball an initial push and reset it if it goes out of bounds.
4) Optionally: add GUI, scoring, sound effects(bonus points for 3D sound), AI(a separate script attached to the 2nd paddle), etc.

Here is the pong clone i made as a test to get familiar with Unity; http://www.reunited-guild.net/pong/ (Deployed as a flash app so no need to download anything)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement