Alternative minecraft

Started by
105 comments, last by bvanevery 10 years ago
Version Alpha 0.0.0.23 Build is out. Without unnecessary descriptions i'm placing files.
NOTE: Loading could be relatively slower.
View distances: Normal 24x24 576 chunks, Double-small 16x16 256 chunks.
Have a nice time playing around with this game! (Because it's already a game!) smile.png smile.png smile.png

[attachment=10207:VG16x16DoubleSmall.rar]

[attachment=10208:VG24x24Normal.rar]
Advertisement
If you run out of ideas, I would suggest making villages that terraform and go to war with eachother.
YOU CAN'T CHANGE STH WRITE YOUR OWN.[/quote]
considering the sheer number of minecraft clones out there a better idea would be to find an open source clone and change it instead. Minetest or Blockmania for example.
I've made a bit more in Unity, including terrain editing, basic noise generator, grass etc., but there's a problem:

Unity do not detects collissions with back faces!

Solutions I tried:
- Changing Left/Back/Bottom face with Roght/Front/Top face of the next block. - Not working

Is there a way to turn it off?

Me personally in minecraft its all the same. Materials that you mine all seem the same as in red stone, lapis lazuli, diamond, iron, coal, etc all have the same block design, just different colors. My suggestion is to really set them apart from each other. Instead of it be all blocks change up the formats and make it so that its not just all 3d blocks. Cylidrical blocks, square blocks, rectangular blocks, all of these to me would make the game unique.

Minecraft is a game about blocks. I'll just state that real quick. It's made to be a build blocks game, like legos. Something that caught my attention about your post was that you think by changing the shape of mineral blocks would make it a unique thing... No it wouldn't. How would it at all make it "unique"? Lol.

As to the original poster, Minecraft has no disadvantages because the entire game is modable. If you don't like the texture of things you can simple create one yourself or pick from a long list of textures made by other people, don't like how something works then change it for find someone who already did, etc. Minecraft really only has small, small disadvantages.

Your Post = Mind Fucking Blown

[quote name='JonBMN' timestamp='1342025074' post='4958090']
Me personally in minecraft its all the same. Materials that you mine all seem the same as in red stone, lapis lazuli, diamond, iron, coal, etc all have the same block design, just different colors. My suggestion is to really set them apart from each other. Instead of it be all blocks change up the formats and make it so that its not just all 3d blocks. Cylidrical blocks, square blocks, rectangular blocks, all of these to me would make the game unique.

Minecraft is a game about blocks. I'll just state that real quick. It's made to be a build blocks game, like legos. Something that caught my attention about your post was that you think by changing the shape of mineral blocks would make it a unique thing... No it wouldn't. How would it at all make it "unique"? Lol.

As to the original poster, Minecraft has no disadvantages because the entire game is modable. If you don't like the texture of things you can simple create one yourself or pick from a long list of textures made by other people, don't like how something works then change it for find someone who already did, etc. Minecraft really only has small, small disadvantages.
[/quote]

How wouldn't that be unique? It would be different blocks, different building patterns, etc. You didn't even explain why you didn't think it was unique so I'll take your comment with a grain of salt. You are focused on Minecraft being the great game you think it is when other people would like to see some changes. Now, as to Minecraft having no disadvantages... thats bs honestly. Why you ask? because everyone is not you, play styles are different and if people want to make a new version that they think they could have more fun with then more power to them. Disadvantages to you could be pluses to others. Its all about how you see it.

How wouldn't that be unique? It would be different blocks, different building patterns, etc.

well, take a look on the RedPower Mod, i think you will enjoy the microblocks section, at least until this game cames up smile.png

(only a small description: the microblocks in redpower are blocks cutted, so they are half blocks, 1/4 blocks, 1/8, etc, there's even blocks with a hole in the middle, you can even put more than one block on the same spot.)
I think the major issue is everybody knowsn Minecraft so they do like people do with MMO's and WOW. Everybody thinks the defining game of MMO's would be WoW. I would argue that WoW has done some amazing things and obviously have won over the majority of the public but it is not the best game to play for an MMO experience nor is it the most fun. It is, however, the most professional quality for the ones that are out there ( tera and guildwars 2 have some seriously good possibilities though )

Point is, voxel based games were around long before minecraft ever existed. Minecraft is simply the one that made it big. There is thousands of things you could do to make minecraft better; thus the reason why there is over 1000 mods for the game. To simply suggest that the game is perfect as is really shows your own ignorance and borderlines on the term "fanboy". I have a personal stock in this fight because my game is a voxel based game. We are taking the core aspects of building and placing blocks but that does not make my game a minecraft clone. The premise of my game is 100% different from that of minecraft ( which if you wanted to argue had 0 until they added the bs "the end" ). On top of that the code for minecraft can very much be improved. Unique features as well as untouched modding possibility are very much open to new development.

Having stated this, the download link the OP provided does not have anything of real worth just yet. Perhaps in a later stage of development there will be more than just placing blocks... who are we to tell him that he should not work on this further. I say more power to you, just try and branch away from the normal minecraft setup.

Having stated this, the download link the OP provided does not have anything of real worth just yet. Perhaps in a later stage of development there will be more than just placing blocks... who are we to tell him that he should not work on this further. I say more power to you, just try and branch away from the normal minecraft setup.

you can place blocks on that version? how ? blink.png

as for the thing with WOW, it's th same as God of War, Call of Duty, etc. doesn't matter how far you got from this games, if your game is a MMO, it's automaticaly a WOW Clone. if it's a beat'n up with button smashing, it's a GOW clone. if it's a war game, COD is better (it's strange how in this genre people don't say it's a clone...). your game will always be considered a clone of something because 90% of the people that play games those days are just unable to see the difference between those games and yours.

it's up to you if you care. I personally think that fanboys are better ignored. when your game reach the open minded people who will like it, the fanboys will stop complaining and give it a try. this happened to minecraft, WOW, etc... so why can't it happen to your game? just make sure that your game is well done and follow his premise

[quote name='riuthamus' timestamp='1343974215' post='4965764']

you can place blocks on that version? how ? blink.png

as for the thing with WOW, it's th same as God of War, Call of Duty, etc. doesn't matter how far you got from this games, if your game is a MMO, it's automaticaly a WOW Clone. if it's a beat'n up with button smashing, it's a GOW clone. if it's a war game, COD is better (it's strange how in this genre people don't say it's a clone...). your game will always be considered a clone of something because 90% of the people that play games those days are just unable to see the difference between those games and yours.

it's up to you if you care. I personally think that fanboys are better ignored. when your game reach the open minded people who will like it, the fanboys will stop complaining and give it a try. this happened to minecraft, WOW, etc... so why can't it happen to your game? just make sure that your game is well done and follow his premise
[/quote]

I was just stating that when he added that, assuming he will... ( he did call it "a game" so i would think it had more to it than just floating around. ) that it would be then he needed to start to branch out.

I agree that people will always call the genre based off of a memorable game. Personally I have made it my goal to beat out that concept and make them remember my game! Is that overly ambitious? Sure, but why even try if you doubt yourself before you get started? All in all, I just posted to give light on the concept that all games are basically the same in each genre. The thing that sets them apart is what they do well. If EA created a minecraft game tomorrow and it was more or less the same but with crytek engine and had some other things you could do, i am 100% sure that people would buy it and play it. It is all in what you do, minecraft and many other indie games have more than proved that!

TL:DR: Find something that makes your game unique and stick with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement