What would the most expensive game be like?

Started by
17 comments, last by Daaark 11 years, 9 months ago

I tried to look up the website, but could not find it as all the buzz about Microsoft surface tablet filled my google results.

exclude the search term microsoft
Advertisement
I agree on the impulse of buying a game that would result in need to buy the game even if it costs thousand dollars. I've been looking for PS3 Battlefield 3, but it was always sold out at my favorite technology shop and I basically do not want to use other shops so I waited and waited that i could get a copy, but the price had dropped so much that I got one for 25 euros even though I would have been ready to pay few hundred euros for it.

[quote name='TMKCodes' timestamp='1342650345' post='4960679']
I tried to look up the website, but could not find it as all the buzz about Microsoft surface tablet filled my google results.

exclude the search term microsoft
[/quote]
I tried googling "Surface 2 Games" like I did when we got the Surface desk.

What if there was a game with production values so high, in order to make a profit, they would have to sell a million copies at $1,000? (Or whatever ridiculously high number you want)

A game like Grand Theft Auto or Carmageddon, except where you remotely control a car in the real world equipped with a camera. So when you steal and crash a Ferrari in the game, the game company would have to compensate for the damages you've done.

It'd probably cost a few million dollars per copy. ;)
Are we excluding games that require hardware peripherals? If not, the most expensive game would likely require some insanely expensive peripheral (such as a very advanced brain-computer interface or something similarly futuristic).

A game like Grand Theft Auto or Carmageddon, except where you remotely control a car in the real world equipped with a camera. So when you steal and crash a Ferrari in the game, the game company would have to compensate for the damages you've done.

It'd probably cost a few million dollars per copy. ;)

Haha like in Half Life 2 where civilians would play "control this manhack and kill people for points" at the arcade and didn't know the manhack was for real. Would the players be aware that they were controlling a real car? I can foresee some major legal/ethical issues especially if players end up running people over. And you'd have people wondering why their lawn is being trashed by fifteen driverless derby cars... And imagine split-screen gameplay, oh, yeah, I want this game NOW.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Would the players be aware that they were controlling a real car?

Well, unless you could justify the high price of admission with just saying "the most realistic graphics and driving physics you've ever seen", players would probably have to know.

I can foresee some major legal/ethical issues especially if players end up running people over. And you'd have people wondering why their lawn is being trashed by fifteen driverless derby cars...[/quote]
You could host the "game environment" on a closed circuit to avoid the legal/ethical issues.

Another approach is to target the game towards super rich people who want to go for a race of a lifetime, without the consequences. Pitch it that way.

What would the most expensive game be like?

Duke Nukem Forever.

Everything is better with Metal.

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement