Making a 3-D world

Started by
14 comments, last by PandaNinjaRawr 11 years, 8 months ago

So does that mean if Unity3D doesn't have a feature I want, can I code it in?

I believe Simon answered that in his post right above yours:

Unity doesn't handle any advanced things for you so you are expected to write your own code.

So the answer is yes smile.png

My tip is to go ahead and try it out. Do some tutorials and see if you like it, and come back here if you have any further questions. Unity also has quite a big community that can answer the more unity related questions if you get stuck.
Advertisement
there are ways to make it, not so hard... for example in XNA, you can use this tutorial,

http://www.riemers.n...arp/series1.php

So you can use a height map (grayscale image) to make a terrain. There are other... kind of more advanced ways of doing it, such as using perlin noise, diamond-square, or any other algorithm you can find, that will produce a "semi-random" height map, check libnoise on the web for an example of what can be done with fractal functions, they have great tutorials. Once you get to understand something like libnoise making nice landscapes is really fast and fun.
A point map would also work ( 2D array ).... though I do not know your programming skill, or language choice.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you guys! Sorry for the late reply. Does the free version of Unity3D expire?

[quote name='PandaNinjaRawr' timestamp='1343463696' post='4963884']

I believe Simon answered that in his post right above yours:

Unity doesn't handle any advanced things for you so you are expected to write your own code.

So the answer is yes
My tip is to go ahead and try it out. Do some tutorials and see if you like it, and come back here if you have any further questions. Unity also has quite a big community that can answer the more unity related questions if you get stuck.
[/quote]

Oops sorry didn't see that post :P

So is Unity3D C++?

Its written in C++ but you don't program into it with C++ (unless you have a pro license). Instead you can use either: C#, a dialect of javascript (often called unityscript) or Boo.

C# and C++ contrary to popular belief have little to do with each other other than having an upper case C as the first character.
Boo is somewhat like python (with some influence from other languages).
Unityscript is essentially a statically typed version of javascript (no point going into what that means)

Yes you can. The kerbal space program has alot of additional features added onto it that the devs had to manually add (the shadows from the sun for instance do NOT use unity point lights, they wrote their own shader)

Does the free version of Unity3D expire?

Its feature restricted and you can't access all pages of the plugin and asset stores. Many of the features cut you can write your own plugins for if you have the know how. Chances are as a beginner you won't hit any of the restricted features. It doesn't have a time limit on it but it does have an income limit. If your company is earning over a certain amount of money then you cannot use the free version. The pro version is only $1500 though (plus an extra $500 for android or iOS support for total of $2500) which although for you would be alot that is actually remarkably cheap for a game engine, the income limit is very high aswell. You are almost certainly going to be fine with the free version.

How much programming experience do you have because as easy as Unity is you can't jump into it with no programming ability.
Thanks for the reply, my programming ability is not that great but I am not a complete newbie at it either, I did some programming in school but that's it. :P I just really want to make a "world" with some sort of game engine :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement