What Physics Engine is Better?

Started by
12 comments, last by EMascheG 11 years, 8 months ago

PhysX and Havok are both free.

Was that really worth a downvote on the entire post for one mistake which is not shown clearly on havoks site anywhere.
Anyway, further googling and although I've found other people saying its free I still haven't found anything on the actual havok site, post edited anyway
Advertisement

I really don't understand why people enjoy spreading false informations on the internet.

PhysX and Havok are both free.

PhysX and Havok are free i know. but PhysX you dont have access to the source code or modify somehting of PhysX is the same case with Havok. Another Think is Havok only is free Havok PHYSICS and ANIMATION ARE FREE ONLY IN USE NO COMMERCIAL. but my engine i want sell including the sdk of physics including the source code of the SDK if the persons buy want. That is the reason i want sdk of physics how bullet or Newtor or something like that.

PhysX is hardware accelerated on NVidia cards (GTX 400 series and above only I think) but not AMD cards, otherwise its a fully functioning high quality physics library that you should seriously consider (assuming the license is compatible with your project, dependant on what the project is you may have to pay or you may be able to use it for free). It has been used in many commercial games: Mirrors edge, arma 3 (when released), mafia 2, metro 2033, ghost recon, borderlands 2, batman arkham asylum (and city) and quite a few more.

Havok is a commonly used engine in the games industry although its not free to use unfortuneately. There are too many games to list that use it (326 here: http://www.giantbomb...s/92-502/games/). EDIT: It is apparently free for some projects although I can't find anything on the havok site with any sort of guidelines or even priceplans.

Newton is apparently a bit more limited, true if you want to roll a ball down a hill then its overkill but I wouldn't make a serious game with it. Infact the only game I've actually heard of on their list of games using it is ship simulator which is something that has a billion copies sitting on the bargain rack of my nearest PC game store.

Bullet is a pretty good engine. Although by default it runs on the CPU like most engines they do now provide libraries allowing it to use CUDA (Same thing that PhysX uses for hardware acceleration) aswell as OpenCL (which can optionally be hardware accelerated on most GPU's). It has been used in GTA4 and red dead redemption aswell as a few open source projects and movies.

With the exception of Havok they all have publically available bindings to be used in several languages so whatever language you program in one of the above should be available to you.

Personally I would look into either Bullet or PhysX

Thanks 6677 for the great opinion and council. I decided to use Bullet for the moment. maybe can join with another Engine of Physics because bullet only work with collisions and rigid,soft body. i need another engine what work with Fluids,etc
As far as I know none of the engines above have full support for physics included. There is this discussion on how to do fluids in bullet though: http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4210 Its old but might still be relevant

As far as I know none of the engines above have full support for physics included. There is this discussion on how to do fluids in bullet though: http://bulletphysics...opic.php?t=4210 Its old but might still be relevant

Thanks for the info.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement