Java or C# career and future of programming

Started by
21 comments, last by dilyan_rusev 11 years, 8 months ago
yeah but what if windows is going away ?? google is activating millions of android devices and apple is selling so much ios devices they say they sold more than pc etc what if that trend continue for the next 5-10 years... peoples seem to prefer mobile over a desktop and since mostly 80% of the peoples out there doesn't need the full power of a high end desktop where are we going ??
Advertisement
Sorry, but pretty much everyone in a cubicle uses a PC and the overwhelming majority of those run windows. That's not changing in 5-10 years.

And frankly, my workplace is using C# to develop iOS and android apps as well.

But it does not matter. Pick one. If you're wrong, then spend the month learning enough of the syntax to be employable in the other (more likely, whatever the successor is to C# in ~5 years). Syntax is largely irrelevant in the timeframes you're asking about.
Oh, my, I don't see Windows (or the classical GUI paradigm) going away anytime soon. We are simply seeing a shift in form factor. The Internet of Things is the next big thing according to many academics, but it is far, far away. Typing on a physical keyboard is still the best way to enter text. Whether it is connected to a phone or some other portable device - it doesn't matter. And don't forget all the applications that you use on a daily basis. True, end users definitely don't need a full PC, they probably don't even use half the functionality of their phones, but as a programmer you don't have to worry about it. People are using more and more *software*, which gets created by... developers. Web sites are still going to be consumed, businesses will still need intranets and accounting software, games will always be played, people will still waste money on apps. All of these feature classes of frameworks (or types of frameworks) that are very similar in terms of the way code structure and general coding, regardless of programming language/runtime environment.

And like Telastyn said - just pick something and start programming. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter whether it's python or java or .net or anything else for that matter. Experience in programming is transferable, only the little mechanics aren't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement