Is Windows 8 really bad for games?

Started by
54 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm almost thinking that MS have decided to adopt a tick-tock approach to Windows releases; do something major in a release and suffer the backlash, then shortly afterwards release a new, tweaked version and watch as everyone goes 'oh, this is better than <last version>' thus generating sales.

OK, that would be crazy BUT given that I suspect MS make most of their OS income from companies and most companies are only just getting up to speed with Win7 and unlikely to goto Win8 regardless putting out a 'test' OS (which will unify their PC, Phone and console space as well as giving them a tablet presense) makes some sense if you take the feedback and roll out a better Win9 which companies are more likely to upgrade to.

That's an interesting perspective, and I think you might be close to the truth. A lot of companies are heavily dependent on 3rd party apps which will have only recently gotten Windows 7 certification too, so perhaps MS are well aware of what they're doing, well aware of what the likely outcome in corporate space is going to be, and are reasonably happy to take it on the nose for this release?

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Advertisement
There is so much "buy me" junk already preloaded onto 7, seeing something else will not make much difference in 8IMHO.
(( The system I am currently using, came preloaded with a "game store". ))
True it's going to force Steam and all the other digital game stores to keep innovating, but competition is a good thing.
... I'm waiting for some one to come out with stable copies of Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 ...

The person who called Vista an improvement on XP, should have had to do the computer "repair" work I had to do on that turd of an OS

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ph34r.png

And based on Apple success the population WANT app stores to buy their stuff at so MS adding one is just giving the majority what they appear to want.
As someone who is neither ignorant, nor lazy, I download and purchase all my tablet software through the official app store (Google Play) for my device. nVidia has an app store. Lenovo has an app store. Amazon has an app store, <Tablet Vendor X has an app store> etc... I don't care. There are nice games, books, and other things exclusive to other app stores. I won't buy them. I even nuked the alternate app stores on tablets I gave away as gifts, because they are a pain in the ass.

The only difference between app store A and B is who gets the 20%. So there is no need to support 50 of them as a user.

The Steam thing is kind of funny. Because Steam itself is a unified vendor in the same vein. It offers the same pros and cons. Users have a nice unified place to purchase all their software. They have one account, one collection, and one place to check for updates and etc... We tablet users want that on our platforms of choice too!

It's nice to turn on the tablet, hit one button, and have all my stuff managed and updated as a collection. It's nice to open my Google Play bookshelf, and see all my books there as one collection, and not a ton spread across different readers (kobo, kindle, etc...). If a book I want is not available on Google Play, then I'll get a different one that is.

Tablets do not replace desktops. They are mostly simple consumption devices. You pick it up, sit on the couch, and read a book, flip through a comic, play a game, listen to a podcast, watch a youtube video, look at your facebook, browse the web, etc... All consumption type activities with minimal input needed.

So there is no "freedom" to be taken away.

It's also nice that having a tablet makes for a nice companion to move the consumption activities off the PC, instead of multitasking all these things on one device. Let the PC focus totally on your creation and computation activities, while the tablet has the news or youtube or whatever other consumption activity off to the side.

Surface doesn't change this. Sure they include a physical keyboard, but so do countless other tablets. You can even buy surface like keyboards for your android or iOS device already. It doesn't change anything. It's about as useful as plugging in a keyboard to an PS3. It helps when entering text, but that's a rare activity. My tablet even has an optional keyboard dock that turns it into a netbook. Not buying it was 100$ well saved ;).
There is so much "buy me" junk already preloaded onto 7, seeing something else will not make much difference in 8IMHO.
(( The system I am currently using, came preloaded with a "game store". ))[/quote]

So your blaming MS because the supplier you got your computer from preloaded software on it? That 'junk' doesn't come preloaded on Windows 7 (there's no game store on my copy of Win7), it gets installed by systems manufacturers. If you want to avoid it, either build your own system and install the OS, or buy a system that doesn't have an OS installed on it. A third option is to reformat the drive again and then install the OS yourself.
I'm curious if MS will offer lower percentages to major software vendors. It seems like people like Adobe or Autodesk might be able to throw their weight around a little bit and get better percentages on their splits, which would make the app store more appealing imo.

I guess that's part of the reason they do a 30% split on the first X amount you sell and 20% after. Maybe for software vendors that sell huge amounts of software they'd consider dropping to 15-10%? No se.
I keep reading Win 8 will be a disaster. I still have not understood why.
I look forward Valve making Linux a viable alternative... Maddog said already he's against Steam and if he happens to be expressing community' intentions then I guess Linux will stay out of the market we care for another 10+ years.

Previously "Krohm"

There is no way that Windows 8 will do what some people describe in this thread so lets make a few things clear.
There are two proposed alternatives for how this OS will function.

1. Windows 8 will close ALL software downloads and installs that do not go through the upcoming windows marketplace, meaning ALL GAMES AND ALL SOFTWARE WILL NOW PAY MICROSOFT 20% OF EVERYTHING THEY MAKE.

That is insane... And will simply mean that noone will install windows 8 and just stick to windows 7.

Much more likely is:

2. Windows 8 will feature a windows market where developers can chose to put their software/games, that will be run by and providing profits for Microsoft.
Which is fine. AAA Developers wont care, but it will be a great opportunity for the Indies to get some much needed publicity.

Putting the marketplace in a more visible location in the OS is fair enough its not like users wont be completely used to it a few months in.

-Exo
The sky is falling every time a new windows release is up. People still think Windows XP killed OpenGL.

1. Windows 8 will close ALL software downloads and installs that do not go through the upcoming windows marketplace, meaning ALL GAMES AND ALL SOFTWARE WILL NOW PAY MICROSOFT 20% OF EVERYTHING THEY MAKE.

2. Windows 8 will feature a windows market where developers can chose to put their software/games, that will be run by and providing profits for Microsoft.
Which is fine. AAA Developers wont care, but it will be a great opportunity for the Indies to get some much needed publicity.

I agree with you that #2 is more likely, but I don't think #1 would be as large a disaster as you imply. I'd imagine MS would host all the software, so distribution and retail cuts would be taken out of the equation for physical copies, and the split is better on the MS store than other online stores, and it's more visible. I don't think it would really affect the bottom line of any software developers if they forced it. The only bad thing would be the negative press of forcing all software to go through them.

I don't think they'll do that because of the bad press and they'll already have such an advantage there's no reason to prevent people using other things as it would be a small part of the population.

20-30% sounds really bad, but compared to the percentage developers lose today distributing software it's really not that terrible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement