OpenGL and Desktop Composition on NVIDIA

Started by
0 comments, last by FXACE 11 years, 8 months ago
I have been searching for a solution to a problem for a while now and i think iv narrowed it down to some sort of driver/opengl issue. You can read more about it here as i began thinking it was a issue with my timing code.
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/629585-jumpy-movement-with-fixed-timesteps/

Iv since come to the conclusion it must be some kind of driver issue or something.

Basically i get very erratic movement even in very simple code, simply drawing a box that moves from left to right using a fixed timestep with interpolation. It looks as if the box moved ahead of itself and then jumps back. If i turn off Desktop Composition i get very smooth movement.

I have tried the windowing setups in OpenTK as well as SFML.net and the same issue presents itself.

Is there any know issues with Desktop Composition/NVIDIA/OpenGL that might be causing this? I have tried the same code on an ATI card and had no problems. Sadly the NVIDIA forums are down or i would try there as well.

Specs
Win7 x64
NVIDIA 650 Ti and another PC with a little olderNVIDIA card with the same issue
Advertisement
Weird applications like Desktop Composition.

Sometimes appears this issue even without these applications. It looks like when calling SwapBuffers(HDC) shows a result of previous (SwapBuffers(HDC) call, in other words - previous frame).

There are two ways I know that might be able to solve this:
1. Add flag PFD_SWAP_COPY to PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR.dwFlags;
2. Do update screen twice per frame:

// [start of frame]
DrawSceneToFBO(); /* back buffer */
GoToScreenFBO();
DrawBackBufferToScreen(); /* draws a quad with back buffer texture into screen */
SwapBuffers(hDC);
DrawBackBufferToScreen(); /* draws a quad with back buffer texture into screen */
SwapBuffers(hDC);
// [end of frame]

(Looks ugly but works for me)

Best wishes, FXACE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement