Minimum and maximum values for Accelerometer sensor

Started by
2 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 7 months ago
I would like to know what are the minimum and maximum values for the Accelerometer sensor? does it change from one device to another, or there are android SDK min and max values?
MoMinis R&D team
Advertisement
My mates galaxy ace seemed to return a value based on G so on a flat surface screen facing up Z was -1.0 (which makes full sense). My nokia lumia 710 also does this but is a windows phone of course. My old ZTE blade returned a value in ms[sup]-2[/sup] which is what acceleration is really measured in. On a flat surface screen up it returned -9.72 which I think means it was out of calibration as 1G is 9.81.

I think in G you can assume that no-ones going to break the -3 to 3G limit which is greater than some of the cheaper sensors used in phones, Thats 29.43 in ms[sup]-2[/sup]
Theoretically, there is no upper limit.

If you keep an Android uplifted onto its side, and continuously calibrate the G-sensors, it's possible that you can force the X and Y accelerometer to exceed the float value: 9.8

For example, X default value is 0.0.

0.0 > Lift upright > 9.72 > Calibrate > While calibrating, shake the phone rigoriously > you get X := -27.83

Source: I have a shitty phone I borrowed from school, and played its calibrations. Quite happy with it, as an expensive toy. biggrin.png

EDIT: I reset the values back to 0, and try this again, so as to take a snapshot for proof. I'm now unable to recreate the values. sad.png Please ignore the above. I'll re-edit this post and try again tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Forget it, quickly mashed this up and got this:

KXfoJ.png

Note that this is when I put my phone on the table, laying still. So, play around a bit with the G-sensor calibration, and you'll see how fun it is to tinker around.

EDIT 3: Ok, I got one that even exceeded my initial record for max G-force:

8d9Wj.png
I think if your app uses its own calibration routine then you should just be able to work from there easily enough

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement