Scrolling in OpenGL

Started by
1 comment, last by Lazy Foo 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi, i'm creating a simple adventure game where the player just walks around different rooms, and when they hit door, the game refreshes to a new room.

Each room size is 600x400 and the game consists of 3 rooms. The window only displays 1 room at a time.
I've worked through most of the tutorials on lazyfoo and here for scrolling, but i can only find tutorials that moves the camera with the player in the center.

I tried using translatef as shown in the tutorials but it just distorts the room and if i try to create QUADS that goes beyond 600x400 it does not display, even when i call glTranslatef() to the position.

Sorry if this is a little hard to understand, hopefully this diagram will make my post easier to follow:

GdKGE.png

Here are relevant code snippet

bool init()
{
//relevant init code
glViewport(0, 0, 600, 400);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
return true;
}
void render()
{
//relevant render code
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
glPushMatrix();
glOrtho(0,600,400,0,-1,1);
if (player->room == 1)
glTranslatef(0, 0, 0);
if(player->room == 2)
glTranslatef(-600, 0, 0); //pan camera right 600px
if(player->room == 3)
glTranslatef(0, -400, 0); //pan camera down 400px
//initialize all rooms and objects in the whole maze
glPopMatrix(); //End rendering phase
}

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Advertisement
From your code snippet it looks like you are rendering your scene while in GL_PROJECTION matrix mode? If you translate your projection matrix, funny effects (like distortion) may happen. Try a glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW) at the beginning of your render() function.

Your projection matrix does not need to be changed all that often ;-)
What you probably want to do is when the camera gets close to the edge of the room it should lock inside the room.

Also, as mentioned in the OpenGL scrolling tutorial, you shouldn't be using the projection matrix to scroll your camera.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement