One WIN32 Question and one General C++ Question

Started by
0 comments, last by Codarki 11 years, 7 months ago

Hi, recently I wrote a topic about some problems with my win32 framework. Thanks to this awesome forum I was able to solve those problems. Now I have a new Question and an optional Question:

• For one of my window modes I would like it that my window always has the same ratio when it's getting sized. Thus if you start with a size of 1280*720, that you can never go to another ratio when sizing. This prevents stretching while still being able to scale the content. So what's the best way on how doing it? I tried to do it and it works. However it doesn't work properly and you really see these ugly flickers. Code:

if(abs(newWidth-_iWinWidth_) > abs(newHeight-_iWinHeight_)) newHeight = int((float)newWidth * _fWinRatioH_);

else newWidth = int((float)newHeight * _fWinRatioW_);

MoveWindow(_hWND_,rect->left,rect->top,newWidth,newHeight,true);

break;

newWidth is the width after the user resized the window, same for newHeight. _iWinHeight_ and _iWinWidth_ were the previous dimensions. (RECT)rect is init. by the GetClientRect(). So are there better methods to achieve this goal, or did I just make a mistake somewhere. ( Btw this code is done via a function, that function is executed whenever the window sized ( due to windows or a user action )
  • There is also another mode, I call it CLIENT_RATIO. This means that you can resize the window to whatever ratio you want, so you can just resize your window with no restrictions. However when you for example go from an original size of 1280*720 to 1400*720 then it will place vertical "banners" with a width of 60 left and right of the content. This so that your content will still be 1280*720. This to respect the ratio. I've tried to do this manually, but it is still bugged. I think I can get it working if I debug it. But still, I was wondering is there maybe something in WIN32 that allows this by default in a proper and correct way?

---------------------------------------------

Ok that was it for the WIN32 part, Now here's a real challenge.
The win32 framework is used for my 2d and 3d engine. I'm now trying to create a Console System, like you have in all the big games. ( e.g. UDK Games, Valve Games, ... ). I can create it and get it working, so what is my question? Well I would like to have a really fast way to add a function to the console function list, so that it allows me to do the following:

• Type the function name and parameters in console textbox field
  • Get live code hinting while typing
  • Execute the function with the given parameters

Now I've thought of a system in which I give the function pointer and parameters manually, this is a really inconvenient way, but it works.
But Like I've said before, I want a faster way. Is it possible to just pass the function pointer and to extract than the parameters from the pointer of the function, so that you can put it in strings to get some sort of code hinting.

I've asked this question on IRC and these 2 solutions were given me:

• Work with a sort of scripting language. This could be done for example via Python, which is possible thanks to the Boost Libraries.
  • Extract it from the pointer via stuff like function_traits ( also via the boost libraries )

I believe that both solutions can work. The problem is that I'm new to both solutions, so can someone give me some articles related to my solution in general, or if possible articles related to a solution using one of the 2 solutions listed above.

If any information I've given is too vague, then please ask for what you need more, and I shall try to provide it.
Thank you already! ( Oh and I'm traveling a lot these days between different locations, so it is possible that their is a long time period between my answers on this topic )

Advertisement
For the sizing problem, maybe you're looking for WM_SIZING message?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms632647%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement