Today's xkcd: Click and Drag

Started by
22 comments, last by PyroDragn 11 years, 7 months ago
I hit the edge of the right side and couldn't go further. And there was the balloon guy indicating the end. Are you sure it looped?
Advertisement
Yeah, unless my memory is failing me: yesterday I headed right until I reached the rocket launch site, then today went to the left and found the launch site again. I do not recall any such balloon guy - although I was referred to the comic yesterday at xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de (do not visit if you want to keep the click & drag feel) instead of xkcd.com, maybe that one loops and I missed the balloon guy.

EDIT: yeah... it loops and I didn't get the balloon guy's hint - I thought the huge pit was part of the map LOL I am so stupid. Ignore me laugh.png

[spoiler]Can you find the minecraft reference wink.png [/spoiler]

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

That was awesome.
This really needs Google-maps style "Link to this location", I'm lost in the caves. Now hold on, I'm going to throw you a death postponer.

[Edit:] Found the Nautilus, I think.
Very cool but the UI sucks ;) Needs keyboard input.

Am I the only one sure there are tons of hidden things up in the sky (like the squid but like 100m up)?

A way to see the whole think on one zoomed out image would rock.

What's the tech used, anything clever?
I was thinking it'd be cool to create a small game out of this, basically plop a small stickman into the canvas, and use the black pixels for collision, and give him some type of balloon to float, and it'd be pretty awesome to explore.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

A way to see the whole think on one zoomed out image would rock.

The link provided by Bacterius allows that: http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de
Awesome, I'd missed that. If anything seeing it that way is more impressive... I totally missed the underground part.

As for games, well it could make a Worms level, or a really MASSIVE StickSoldiers map (one for the old-timers)
Anyone else find the raptors?
([size=2]Farthest left, between the last stick figures and the radar dish [size=2][link to location])

What's the tech used, anything clever?

Javascript, with the image broken into chunks. It streams the images in as you move, which is why the page loaded so surprisingly quickly.
The comic image (with a hole in it) is layed over the javascript'd area nicely.

It is clever design-wise how he made it seem like a completely ordinary comic (and the page loaded as fast as a normal comic), so you have no clue until you read the tooltip and try dragging, not knowing what to expect.
Found a miner being chased by a creeper... somewhere. So many cool things in this map

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement