Keeping track of game performance/data usage

Started by
4 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone!

First I want to apologize for possible spelling/grammar errors. English is not my main language so if you find errors, feel free to correct them so I can learn from it.

I'm making a game from scratch in C#. I don't use any engines, I just draw everything on a Forms.PictureBox width the Drawing.Graphics object and the game updates with a Forms.Timer with an interval of 20ms.

I want to know how I can check if my game doesn't require too much from my pc, so I want to keep track of the FPS and other things that have anything to do with how my game preforms/how 'heavy' it is.
It's a smaal 2d game so it should run smooth on almost every computer, but I just want to be able to see that if I add something new to the game, it doesn't make it like twice as heavy for the computer it runs on.

I'm sorry I can't be really spesific, but I just want to gather as much information as possible about the preformance/usage of the game so I can draw them on the screen for me to see how my game runs.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Freek
Advertisement
Hi,

A program called FRAPS is free and gives you on screen frames per second. You can also benchmark with it and accumulate data. I use it sometimes because it is quick, easy, and no cost.

There are some other programs which do more, but perhaps at this stage that is all you need. smile.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Thanks for the answer, but I actually meant to keep track of it in-game.
For example, in some games you can press a button to toggle some kind of screen witch shows you the fps and other data.

A good example is Minecraft (you've probably heard of it)
When you press F3, it shows you the fps, the player coordinates and a whole load of other stuff of witch I don;t know what it means.
Here is an image:[color=#ffffff]------V the FPS is right there
minecraft_debug.jpg

I don't need help with the drawing itself, but only with collecting the information. ;)
I believe those data on the minecraft screenshot are game information for mostly debugging.
What you need is a profiler
Here are some free profilers

AMD CodeAnalyst Performance Analyzer
http://developer.amd...es/default.aspx

Very Sleepy
http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy/

These will do the jobs, but are not as advanced as intel's vtune.
An invisible text.
Oh ok.
Thanks, I'll try them.

I know it's a debug screen in minecraft, but that was exactly what I had in mind. ;)
Freeky,

Other resources which are no cost and can give you important information about what a game is doing in performance will be your Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor found through Task Manager of Windows systems.

CTRL + ALT + DEL buttons held down brings the Windows Task Manager to your Desktop.

CTRL + ALT + DEL / Task Manager Window/ Performance Monitor tab/ Resource Monitor button.

Things like CPU usage, threads at work, Kernals active, processes per application, and memory utilized give a game developer crucial information about the further or future potential of the game for expansion. There is even a way to track data over time and get a print copy of the results. Experienced and Professional GD people must use these data in order to know and expand the boundries of game performance. Other programs are available which provide more convenient display and isolation of such data.

Analizing the in system performance data of a game is an important time saving insight to be able to handle game memory management, thread allocation, and other performance impacting issues. The result is the ability to improve game programming or API connections for real gains in game performance and potential.

smile.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement