Is Avoiding Fragmentation Worth It?

Started by
2 comments, last by TheChubu 11 years, 6 months ago
I hate platform fragmentation. I hate the whole concept of having to change your code and files just for a certain type of platform and/or vendor's hardware. Is it worth it to avoid fragmented platforms like Android and PC in favor of [much] less popular platforms such as Mac, Windows RT, and Ouya? Would the loss of sales from PC be worth it?

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Advertisement
That is a business decision only you can make.

Obviously, some companies find it is worth the expense, others don't.

Sometimes even within the same company certain games are and others are not.

Is it worth it FOR YOU to do that? That is something only you can answer.
That increases your breadth.
The problem with PC games (indie anyway) is that you can rarely break even "out of the blue".
If you've planned ahead and made your code compliant with other platforms, you increase exposure. This has a cost, but generally, this helps you break even and snatch a little profit in the process.
Then again, there are extremely successful games on the PC that haven't ported to any other, so its entirely up to you, or, should I say, to your market researches.
Or just don't try to do everything from the get go. Choose a platform that you like, but code things in a way that will let you port your game to other platforms easily should you choose to do so in the future.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement