Vector help.

Started by
5 comments, last by BeerNutts 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello,

I made a vector of a string and added a member function of an item class getName, witch just returns the name:

[source lang="cpp"]string Item::getName() {

return m_Name;
}[/source]

so i initialized the vector and iterator like so:

[source lang="cpp"]vector<string> inventory;
vector<string>::iterator iter;[/source]

and then:

[source lang="cpp"]inventory.push_back(sword.getName());[/source]
Now my question is how to print the names of the items. the item class:

[source lang="cpp"]class Item{

public:
enum Type{WEAPON, ARMOR, CONSUMABLE, TRASH};
Item(string name, Type type, int rarity, int value);
string getName();

private:
Type m_Type;
string m_Name;
int m_Rarity;
int m_Value;
};

Item::Item(string name, Type type, int rarity, int value): m_Name(name), m_Type(type), m_Rarity(rarity), m_Value(value) {}

string Item::getName() {

return m_Name;
}[/source]

Now what i want to do is make an inventory class that handles adding dropping, equipping, and listing all the items in the inventory. I have no idea how to print the names though. all help is appreciated.
Advertisement
You can access each string in the vector with either:
inventory.at(0); //Get the first string in the vector, or throw an exception if out of range.
inventory[0]; //Get the first string in the vector, or hopefully crash if out of range.
inventory.back(); //Get the last string in the vector, or hopefully crash if the vector is empty.
inventory.front(); //Get the first string in the vector, or hopefully crash if the vector is empty.

(always check inventory.empty() or inventory.size() before accessing an element)

To print out everything:

By index:

for(unsigned int i = 0; i < inventory.size(); i++)
{
std::cout << inventory << std::endl;
}

With iterators:
typedef std::vector<std::string>::iterator StrVectorIterator;
for(StrVectorIterator myIt = inventory.begin(); myIt != inventory.end(); myIt++)
{
std::cout << (*myIt) << std::endl;
}

Iterators are designed to be similar to pointers; you don't need to create an iterator until you actually need it - infact, the iterators will be invalidated if you operate on the vector after getting the iterator.

... good stuff ...

With C++11:

for(auto const& val : inventory)
std::cout<<val<<std::endl;

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Servant, i tried both those ways but i get an error on the output operator saying operator "<<" matches these operands. i think i need to overload a the operator, but the book i learned from was kinda confusing when it taught that.

Servant, i tried both those ways but i get an error on the output operator saying operator "<<" matches these operands. i think i need to overload a the operator, but the book i learned from was kinda confusing when it taught that.

Did you make sure to include <string>?

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

oh my god, someone told me that the sting was already in iostream so i never needed to include it. god that pisses me off, all i needed to do was include string. well that's for the help.
BTW, why not have the inventory store the actual Item instead of just the name?

std::vector<Item> Inventory;

// Add a sword ...is typical parameters
Item Sword(...);
Inventory.push_back(Sword);

// List your inventory
for (int i = 0; i < Inventory.size(); ++i) {
std::cout << Inventory.getName();
}

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement