Remaking an old game - Ethical?

Started by
12 comments, last by JoshHartley 11 years, 5 months ago
Do you know who the author is/owner of the license? Perhaps contact them if you can seeking permission.
Advertisement
Most of the above is good, correct advice.

However, I don't think you're actually remaking an old game at all. You're planning to:

• Use different game mechanics.
  • Create all your own assets (graphics, sounds, etc.) and use all your own names.
  • Use a similar theme and premise.

If that's correct there's not really a problem, although this depends on using a similar theme and premise -- if it's exactly the same you're back in legally dangerous (and unethical) territory.

To me it really sounds like you're wanting to make an original game which happens to be the same genre.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm pretty sure if you use the same theme you'll be alright. As long as the assets are new, you don't use the same names or story, and the game has a large enough amount of unique elements to obviously distinguish itself from the inspiration.
Thanks for the input from everyone. After reading all the warnings, I have decided to distance myself from the source material and approach this project as "making a new game inspired by the old game" rather than a remake.

Yes, I intended from the beginning to use my own art assets, original name/story, 80-90% fresh mechanics. This is not a clone but more of a (for example) "Pac Man is a great game, how can I make a game with a similar concept of collecting all the dots and power-ups in a level while being chased by ghosts, enhanced by modern technology?".
As its been put by everyone else, you should be fine as long as your project is inspired by the other game, as long as you aren't taking any of the IP from the game i.e graphics, story, music, sound effects then you're safe because its just styled similar to the game that inspired the creation of your project.
Without commitment you will never achieve your dream.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement