Ooops... XNA is dead?!.

Started by
49 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 4 months ago
The performance of XNA is not an issue because of the increase in computer performance - hardware, software, and CPU or VGA chipset architecture. DX9 games will be playable for years to come on PCs. The support now comes from various experienced communities for XNA. If anything, XNA games perform better than ever and might increase slightly in the next year or two because of both experience and hardware. For beginners and intermediate game developers, performance of XNA games is not the issue, but the coding habits are the issue. Actually, a less than top performing engine actually makes demand for the programmer to improve the quality of the game source code - an advantage with XNA.

Since you mentioned market, et1337, we know that all these things in this thread effect the interest in XNA. From a marketing strategy point of view, XNA is best left without support in the DX9 form. I am convinced that technical advancements in software and hardware caused the decision.

I agree that from a customer relations point of view it was a decision about XNA which has done short term harm to Microsoft reputation and client retention. Apple and Google will increase gaming market share in the next 2 or 3 years I believe. Microsoft must have a reply to the cross - platform games which are conquering now or perhaps fall too far behind. On the other hand, if Microsoft has something much better than XNA in the lab, then a lot of the damage will be overcome and probably much more interest will appear over what they had with XNA.

XNA is still quite beautiful and powerful enough to use. I feel that it is not dead. Use it for a couple years and you will be glad that you did. A lot of growth and fun is still to be had with it, in my opinion. By the time you become very skilled with it, maybe the next great thing will be there for you, but you will sure be ready for anything.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

The performance of XNA is not an issue because of the increase in computer performance - hardware, software, and CPU or VGA chipset architecture. DX9 games will be playable for years to come on PCs

One problem you'll run into even if your computer will have legacy DX9 support? Not being able to use shader model 4, 5, and higher features. Beginner/intermediate coders like you mention probably won't need them, but it is something to be aware of when picking a library.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

NVidia have zero relation to UDK. UDK is made by Epic.

OK, my mistake about UDK.
As XNA has proven, it is possible for very popular libraries to disappear. Why did people think differently?

Luckily as others in this thread have stated, there are alternatives like MonoGame.

However, If a language disappears, it is a very different story.

For example the original Visual Basic language (I.e VB6) was dropped by Microsoft in favor of a very different language (VB.NET). Even today I am often contracted to port VB6 code into an available language (usually C++ for the real legacy stuff).

So, perhaps use what ever library you want and just be sure to adapt, however be very afraid of proprietary languages such as LotusScript, UnityScript, C++/CLR, C++/RT, UnityScript because if those die, it is such a pain to recode your whole project.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

As XNA has proven, it is possible for very popular libraries to disappear. Why did people think differently?

May be because some people really like this library and like the way the things were done: convenience, effectiveness and efficiency. I don't know, some people just stick with that.

So, perhaps use what ever library you want and just be sure to adapt, however be very afraid of proprietary languages such as LotusScript, UnityScript, C++/CLR, C++/RT, UnityScript because if those die, it is such a pain to recode your whole project.

OK, in this list you actually can put whatever language or script used nowadays. Recoding is always a painful procedure and everybody want to avoid it. But, for instance, you as language vendor, could announce developers officially that current technology will be killed of very soon. Microsoft just drop off XNA about 2 years ago and they said nothing. This is the only reason, why do people keep asking, what happened to XNA? Why doesn't XNA work with Win 8? etc. Moreover there should not have been any rumors around at all.
No offense, however this is the 7th thread on this topic in the past two months :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

When the next Xbox is released, it's going to need an SDK/GDK of some sort. That could be a new version of XNA, or something completely different. If it's due in a few years I imagine they'd need to be getting it into the hands of developers pretty soon so there are games available at release?

Personally I think they goofed when they tried to make the exact same framework work for all conceivable devices, not recognising that the long hardware cycle of the Xbox compared to the PC/mobile/tablet means it's holding you back for quite a few years.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
Commercial games are not made with XNA though. Big name studios just get hardware capable of running unsigned code and the xbox compilers and documentation etc. They can run native ASM on it if they want.

They have no obligation to provide a service like XNA and the XBLIG. Sony and nintendo do fine without (although sony now have a similar program for the vita). I think they will give us access anyway, why would they take that away when they make a nice little profit from royalties and indie licenses?
I've bought - and played - at least two XNA games commercially via steam (Terraria and Magicka...Magicka being one that looks more like a "real commercial" game in quality, as well as new content). Probably a few others, especially since the "steam green lighting" system is getting more and more indie games onto the distribution platform.

I'm sure if there is no XNA sequel (or any official C#/.NET graphics binding from Microsoft), eventually more and more folks will be using something more up to date like SharpDX and it will be true that you won't see anyone using XNA commercially . But that's exactly what it is too...a means to do the graphics. Xna has some extra incentivies that makes it nice to use for game making, but at the end of the day most of that work is done (at least, the quality ones) through your efforts, sweat, and blood (or tears).

No offense, however this is the 7th thread on this topic in the past two months smile.png!
Too late, I'm offended now! angry.png

Nah seriously, does somebody knows if there are any news regarding a future online platform of the next Xbox? 'Cause, as I see it, XNA offered to "tie in" Microsoft's biggest platforms around. It does surely looks like a good deal for them, specially with the direction they're going with Windows 8.

Imagine a single XNAish framework that works across all Windows 8 editions and Xbox, obviously passing through Windows Store first. It would be strange not to see such thing in the next few years.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement