Oldschool retro RPG - feedback and ideas needed

Started by
14 comments, last by Acharis 11 years, 4 months ago
Thank you for the explanation. I think the best choices you can make is to honestly ask yourself what would you love to play. And for those sources for various boosts of the characters just to ask what are the benefits and what do you expect from such a solution - does it have some interaction with gameplay, storyline, forces the player to play a certain way (your system looks like that it forces to do an exploration as the crystals are found through it)?

I also think that great resource for "what to do with numbers" when designing a game system are pen a paper rpgs. (D20, GURPS, Shadowrun...). I believe it would not be a wasted time to try some, if not the game system it self then tons of little details and assets creating the atmosphere and immersion could be inspiring.

Maybe something for the melee game system as KISS should be applied:
apart from damage for the weapons you might have cogency or weight property on it (the higher quality weapons would have higher ratio of damage/weight)
this weight property could be compared with the wielders strenght and for example:

strenght < 0.5*weight = weapon cannot be used

0.5*weight<strenght<1*weight = weapon can be used with penalty equals missing strenght to weight into attack rating (attack rating if you can hit and damage what is the impact)

1*weight<strenght<1.25*weight = weapon can be used with no modificators

1.25*weight<strenght<1.5*weight =weapon can be used, with bonuses to atack rating of 0.33*(strenght-(1.25*weight))

1.5*weight<strenght<2*weight = weapon can be used, with bonuses to atack rating of 0.33*(.25*weight) plus 0.5*(strenght-(1.5weight))

etc.

Goal is to motivate player to make his choice of weapon for a given foe. For those who are swift and quick on their feets players might want lighter weapon to improve their chance to hit. Strenght also can be classically involved in rising damage done like WeaponDmg + Strenght/X = damage done.

Good luckwink.png
Advertisement
Thank you for the explanation. I think the best choices you can make is to honestly ask yourself what would you love to play. And for those sources for various boosts of the characters just to ask what are the benefits and what do you expect from such a solution - does it have some interaction with gameplay, storyline, forces the player to play a certain way (your system looks like that it forces to do an exploration as the crystals are found through it)?
I'm making the RPG in the style I would like to play :) And yes, I fully agree it's usually the best choice to make a game you also like to play.

I would not call it "forcing exploration". Because you always explore locations in RPGs most of the time. That's the main activity... OK, maybe put it this way, in other RPGs there is also a lot of juggling of inventory, sorting equipment, selling stuff, reading thousand lines of text and doing thousands boring side quests in the style of "help me find my lost cat". In the one I make the proportions will be more in the favour of the exporation part. You go around, kill monsters, have some *SHORT* conversation with NPCs, ocassionally buy something from a shop (but no going around selling useless loot most of the time). It's not that it would force exploration, it's that the other parts of the game would not be that "disturbing". Anyway, I think the current demo gives the mood I aim for. There is a small city with basic services (temple, trainer), some NPCs/encounters which always have maximum 1 screen of text and a lot of various (not too big) dungeons to explore.

As for checking various RPG systems I'm sort of "seen it all" :) I don't really need the list of possible options but a decision which exactly solution/combination of solutions to choose in order to make the kind of game I described (simple, light, fun, exploration focused).

The part I struggle the most at the moment is the crystals (things that let boost permanently your stats) in dungeons. I want to forge out the details. Like, is it for attributes only? How about resistances, should it be given out by crystals or by something else? How about spells, should you be finding some bookshelves in dungoens that let you learn spells or make a more standard guild system where you can buy these?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

"Graphix sux" is what you will hear a lot from people, just in more colorful words and longer sentences.

Now, I'm not saying you need graphics worthy of an official game, I'm saying your graphics right now are in the term of "rough". You can improve the graphics a bit, but focus more on smoothing it out. Just take a look at your screen shot, and you will realize exactly what I mean. Those pictures would look a million times better smooth, and it would give the players a "fake" feel of good graphics (most won't even realize the graphics are that bad).

The only thing i felt was lacking was the sound effects and possibly some music to help generate some more atmosphere.

This person is correct, your music is lacking. It is something that all games require to be implemented into, I suggest going and finding some free rpg soundtracks for use, or if you have a friend that does music then get him to do some.
---
All of this is, of course, things you should be considering in your beta version. Right now your in alpha, so I can't really force this stuff down your throat and tell you to do it now. But it must happen some time in the foreseeable future. You said you were working alone? Why, I'm sure their are many people who would be willing to do this little game with you. At least try and get some help.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

"Graphix sux" is what you will hear a lot from people, just in more colorful words and longer sentences.

Now, I'm not saying you need graphics worthy of an official game, I'm saying your graphics right now are in the term of "rough". You can improve the graphics a bit, but focus more on smoothing it out. Just take a look at your screen shot, and you will realize exactly what I mean. Those pictures would look a million times better smooth, and it would give the players a "fake" feel of good graphics (most won't even realize the graphics are that bad).
To be precise, which exactly should be improved?
- are you talking about the style (big pixels) or about the execution (how these pixels are arranged together)?
- you mean the 3D view (left side) or interface (layout, portraits, menu on the right, movement buttons), or maybe all of them?
- what you mean by smooth?

All of this is, of course, things you should be considering in your beta version. Right now your in alpha, so I can't really force this stuff down your throat and tell you to do it now. But it must happen some time in the foreseeable future. You said you were working alone? Why, I'm sure their are many people who would be willing to do this little game with you. At least try and get some help.
Maybe indeed I should do that...

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

PM coming your way regarding music and sound
OK, I renamed it to "Moonstone Legends". I'm quite sure that one is not trademarked (yet) :)

PM coming your way regarding music and sound
Got it. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement