How does a rock get from Mars to Earth?

Started by
10 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 3 months ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/scientists-ancient-martian-rock-full-water-223144105.html

So this article says that a rock full of water came from Mars to Earth. How is that possible?

EDIT: Obviously I didn't read the article carefully enough.

So with that said, I wonder how Earth-rocks our volcanoes has sent across the galaxy.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Supposedly from asteroid impacts. The force is powerful enough to launch matter out of the gravitation pull of the planet.

EDIT: I obviously didn't read your post carefully enough...unsure.png

I don't think volcanoes on earth have enough power to eject matter into outer space. The gravity on Mars is much weaker. Still, asteroid impacts are the more likely reason.

i think a super volcano's eruption might be enough to get some rocks out their, but so what, we are all stardust anyway, at the very best, in a billion years that rock "might" be the spark of life on another planet, and that's assuming all the probes we've sent out their don't eventually crash and become that spark in billions of years.

hell, who knows, maybe a billion years ago, an aging alien probe crashed into our planet, and that was the spark for earth.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

So with that said, I wonder how [many] Earth-rocks our volcanoes has sent across the galaxy.

Zero.

1. It's unlikely that anything ejected from the earth would escape the boundaries of our solar system and go off into the galaxy.

2. As slicer4 said, volcanoes aren't powerful enough to cause ejecta to escape the gravitational pull of the earth.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2. As slicer4 said, volcanoes aren't powerful enough to cause ejecta to escape the gravitational pull of the earth.

That was me...

Not only gravity, but drag too.

What I always wondered about these kind of rocks: how come they can preserve anything useful (like that germ fossil) apart from some traits of their original chemical composition? If there's a big enough force to throw the rock off the planet, how come the heat probably close to the force not melt the crap out of it?

What I always wondered about these kind of rocks: how come they can preserve anything useful (like that germ fossil) apart from some traits of their original chemical composition? If there's a big enough force to throw the rock off the planet, how come the heat probably close to the force not melt the crap out of it?

That is a very good question...

That was me...

Oops.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The objects are probably a 'reasonable' distance from the strike point of whatever impact caused them to be ejected from the surface which would help.

Secondly due to the speeds involved what is likely to happen is the outside is heated quickly but the object then moves away from the source of the heat at speed protecting whatever is inside the object. Think Crème brûlée in rock form :D

Oops.

It's... It's OK.sad.png I understand. He has a better reputation than me.sleep.png Perfectly understandable.

biggrin.png tongue.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement