DirectX 9 or DirectX11?

Started by
0 comments, last by Jason Z 11 years, 3 months ago

I have been looking around on using DirectShow to play an avi file as a cutscene and I have found some code but it is very old. I was wondering if there is a simpler method of playing video now and if is still the same, can someone point me in the right direction to making it work?

I have two more questions, what would be the best method to load a model and which version should I use?

For example should I stick with .X files and use DirectX 9, or should I move to DirectX 11? If I do move to DirectX 11 then what should I do about loading models?

Advertisement

DirectShow is the older standard, and there is lots of components available for it. However, there are newer alternatives out there, such as what you can find here. Really it all depends on what you want to accomplish and who your target audience is.

The same goes for the choice between D3D9 and D3D11. If you are targetting Windows XP, then you must choose D3D9. If not, then I would recommend D3D11. For loading the model files, you can simply load them yourself, or you can utilize a third party library such as AssImp.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement