Multi Player Action Game. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Started by
12 comments, last by Oxymoron28 11 years, 2 months ago

What kind of new experience would players not gotten from other war fps like Globla Agenda, Firefall, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, etc.?

Well they're FPS games with vehicles.

This game design is all about customising vehicles with weapon systems and then wreacking havoc over the enemy team. I guess it could be compared to Robot wars more then anything!

Robot wars like uhhhh front mission evolved or mechwarrior online?

Front Mission Evolved and from what I've seen of MechWarrior Online are nothing at all like Robot Wars...

oh "robot wars" is a title? my bad i thought you meant it as a genre of games.

and the market you're targeting would be?

Oh I see! Yeah it's an on British TV Programme :)

and I've been thinking about that a lot, so far I'm gonna have to say "anyone interesting in customisation and online play". I need to give the design some more thought I mean at the moment it's just a little brief of an idea, I do need to do a lot of fleshing out for it!

Advertisement

What kind of new experience would players not gotten from other war fps like Globla Agenda, Firefall, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, etc.?

This game design is all about customising vehicles with weapon systems and then wreacking havoc over the enemy team. I guess it could be compared to Robot wars more then anything!

Front Mission Evolved and from what I've seen of MechWarrior Online are nothing at all like Robot Wars...

Oh I see! Yeah it's an on British TV Programme smile.png

and I've been thinking about that a lot, so far I'm gonna have to say "anyone interesting in customisation and online play". I need to give the design some more thought I mean at the moment it's just a little brief of an idea, I do need to do a lot of fleshing out for it!

Perhaps you can think about the meanings behind the experience of customization. Most games nowadays offer customization, of a character, of an army, of a weapon, of a house, of a farm, of a land, etc. I'm sure you understand the joy of customizing. there's always excitement from imagining what ahead of you to be unlocked and equipped. And there's always limitation - you can't have everything, you need to pick whats the best. But even players -think- in practical terms, eg. "i like customization system cuz i can put thoughts into maximizing performance", on the side players -feel- in personality development. This is my take, and its not the only way to interpret about meanings:

people share notions of personality in a variety of visual things. in real life, your phone, watch, camera, car, choice of coffee. in virtual, it may extend to your farm, how you place your different kinds of crop fields, how you decorate your house, etc. which then, how you pick your robot parts, can also talk about personality. maybe its the type of attack, i.e Range VS melee or Bullet VS laser, may relate to the thought RPG class / jobs (Archer VS Warrior), and of course those static character tags with some personality notions. sometimes style overrides rationality, like people would rather pick a gear that represents themselves even the other option has better stats.

Thus, What your game can offer that other games dont, is a new element of customization - robot components. other games offer character appearance, clothes, hats, gear sets, cars, farms, but not a lot offer robot components. visually and functionally both contributes to this personal representation. This is what i think how people may hook up to this unique game.

I think is is actually kind of cool to add weapon systems on very ordinary veicles. It would also fit with simple graphics because it doesn't have to look 'cool'. Sounds like a fun game!

My CVMy money management app: ELFSHMy game about shooting triangles: Lazer of Death

Oh I see! Yeah it's an on British TV Programme smile.png

Perhaps you can think about the meanings behind the experience of customization. Most games nowadays offer customization, of a character, of an army, of a weapon, of a house, of a farm, of a land, etc. I'm sure you understand the joy of customizing. there's always excitement from imagining what ahead of you to be unlocked and equipped. And there's always limitation - you can't have everything, you need to pick whats the best. But even players -think- in practical terms, eg. "i like customization system cuz i can put thoughts into maximizing performance", on the side players -feel- in personality development. This is my take, and its not the only way to interpret about meanings:

people share notions of personality in a variety of visual things. in real life, your phone, watch, camera, car, choice of coffee. in virtual, it may extend to your farm, how you place your different kinds of crop fields, how you decorate your house, etc. which then, how you pick your robot parts, can also talk about personality. maybe its the type of attack, i.e Range VS melee or Bullet VS laser, may relate to the thought RPG class / jobs (Archer VS Warrior), and of course those static character tags with some personality notions. sometimes style overrides rationality, like people would rather pick a gear that represents themselves even the other option has better stats.

Thus, What your game can offer that other games dont, is a new element of customization - robot components. other games offer character appearance, clothes, hats, gear sets, cars, farms, but not a lot offer robot components. visually and functionally both contributes to this personal representation. This is what i think how people may hook up to this unique game.

I should point out when I made the comparrison to Robot Wars it was purely because the customisation is "anything on a chassis" type. Though it has made me think how awesome it'd be to have mechs in it as well... damnit.

But yeah, there would be a payload limit, otherwise it could hinder gameplay. But the bigger the vehicle the heavier the payload. So you could essentially turn a "747" or a Cruise Liner into a huge armed fortress.

I've been thinking about the target audience a bit more, gameplay wise I'd say the controls be easy enough to pick up and play, that way it could fit into a casual market, but also having enough in it to make the "core" market happy.

Because I've never really worked on developing a game properly I've never really given a target audience much thought, I'm taking your ideas on board in those two paragraphs and I'm going to see what I can come up with!

I think is is actually kind of cool to add weapon systems on very ordinary veicles. It would also fit with simple graphics because it doesn't have to look 'cool'. Sounds like a fun game!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear people like the idea! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement