Hello,

I stumbled upon the following image by accident:

4g8fXwq.jpg

And it made me wonder something:

Which imp image do you like the most?

-The one from Doom 3, rendered with an engine 11 years newer than Doom 2's

-The one from Doom 2, in all its pixely glory

Personally I like the one from Doom 2 more, and here is why:

-blocky pixels to me have a more charming quality than triangular vertices, and the triangles in the Doom 3 model are pretty obvious

-the 256-color palette of Doom 2 is more attractive to me than the dark RGB colors of Doom 3

-the shape of the Doom 2 one actually looks better. Despite the blocky pixels, the head of the Doom 2 model looks rounder than that of the Doom 3 model

So, to me it seems that the 20 year old Doom/Doom 2 are more timeless and replayable than then 10 year old Doom 3. What do you think?

Advertisement
Doom 3 looks better. I've always hated pixely graphics. I don't have a full hard-on for photorealism, and I do tend to prefer non-photoreal styles, but blocky pixels have always just sort of grated on me, even when I was a kid. The lack of subtle coloration and shading due to a limited palette also detracts from a piece of character art, in my opinion, so it was a great step forward when video modes started supporting more than 256 colors. Despite the triangulation on the Doom 3 model, it still says "demon" to me. The Doom 2 model just says "vaguely blurry gingerbread man."

As far as replayability, though, I think both Doom 2 and Doom 3 lack it. I can get as nostalgic as the next guy in theory, and I did enjoy both games for a brief time when they were new, but for me nostalgia should remain untouched. Nothing destroys my pleasant memories of a game or movie faster than going back and replaying it years later. I made the mistake of going back and replaying some of the Ultima and Wizardry games of my youth, and I wish I hadn't. In my opinion, there have been a lot of really good advances in modern games, enough that I keenly feel their lack when I go back to play my earlier favorites; even if those early favorites have a lot of good things that modern games won't touch with a 10 foot pole.
I prefer the imp from Doom 3 to be honest. I think that the imp from the original Doom doesn't look menacing at all, same case with the pink demon and lost souls.

However, I think the originals are better games. I still play Doom 2, I'm trying to beat the Plutonia levels on ultra violence starting each level with just a pistol; the gameplay is so fast and the guns so satisfying, its crazy, and I'm not getting hit by nostalgia either, as I discovered this game just a few years back, around the time Doom 3 was released.

Doom 3 on the other hand was tedious to me.

So, uhm... yeah, I prefer the imp from Doom 3...

I prefer the imp from Doom 3 to be honest. I think that the imp from the original Doom doesn't look menacing at all, same case with the pink demon and lost souls.

Pink demons scared the hell out of me back in the 90´s.

However, I think the originals are better games. I still play Doom 2, I'm trying to beat the Plutonia levels on ultra violence starting each level with just a pistol; the gameplay is so fast and the guns so satisfying, its crazy, and I'm not getting hit by nostalgia either, as I discovered this game just a few years back, around the time Doom 3 was released.

Doom 3 on the other hand was tedious to me.

So, uhm... yeah, I prefer the imp from Doom 3...

yep.

IMO, gameplay-wise, Doom 3 is lacking something, also if compared with Quake 1 or 2 or Half-Life IMO.

it is sometimes almost like a wave of not-very-goodness came and befell the FPS genre.

graphics have gotten better, gameplay, not so much...

it is almost like me first encountering Quake 3 Arena and being like "what?".
I generally preferred games with single-player gameplay. well, people who like deathmatch liked it, and it itself led to its own branch of the FPS genre (games primarily defined by multiplayer and DM + CTF gameplay).

Doom 3 seemed to be more like a whole lot of "I can't see crap" and monsters popping up behind the player, which I personally found kind of annoying (at least in the prior games).

also slightly annoying was the sound design, which basically seemingly equated "dramatic" or "exciting" with "noisy". ("what do we need here? oh yeah, a whole bunch of screaming and some baby noises...").

and, sadly, for newer FPS games, Doom 3 is still not doing that badly.

if I could see stuff, and it was less annoying, and if not for it being a good part of a decade before I had hardware powerful enough to get reasonable frame-rates with it, I may have been happier with it.

also thought Half-Life 2 was ok, but still kind of weak in some ways vs Half-Life (like, in HL, a person could wander around a bit more within each area, rather than everything being essentially a long unidirectional corridor).

in older games, you often had to find the exit, rather than essentially just going forwards until arriving at the exit (for pretty much the entire game).

elsewhere, much of the rest of the FPS genre has become dominated by Halo and COD clones...

dunno, could be nostalgia for all I know.

Honestly the Doom 3 imp looks better no matter what, although the colors and lighting sure could be better (though to be fair that's one of the few places where Doom 3 has any lighting at all =P).

As far as replayability, though, I think both Doom 2 and Doom 3 lack it.

The replayability in the Doom games has always been in the modding, not the games as-is =P In fact I wonder how many people spent more time making levels than actually playing them.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Pink demons scared the hell out of me back in the 90´s.

But did they scared you due to their appearance or because they appeared out of nowhere? At least for me its the latter.

Hello

I've just started to play again at Doom3, with highest configuration and resolution; and except some *missing* post-process effects, particles, ...,it's quite hallucinating even nowadays. I like observing shadows in Doom3 tongue.png

I think Doom3 is just a bit *old*, and Doom2 is now into retro-games category (but still a legend).

So the 2 are not really comparable nowadays, Doom3 can still be completely immersive (cf realism) . Playing Doom2 is for 'souvenir', 'nostalgy' ... as myself I play regularly at Mario2 on GameBoyph34r.png

blah

I agree almost completely, but I will say Doom 3 was more immersive for me, in the sense that it raised more emotions in me. I definitely had more fun with 1/2, but I never really felt anything other than, "fun stuff!" Doom 3 definitely had a couple of moments where I was scared poopless.

it is almost like me first encountering Quake 3 Arena and being like "what?".

Quake 3 Arena was awesuuuum! I wouldn't mind at all a Quake 5 Arena :D

I liked Doom 3, it looked awesome back then, and it was pretty scary for me. It sure looks better than Doom 2. But they're displaying pretty different artistic styles I guess.

Often I like Id games in the sense that they never wen't too far from their shooting mechanics even after all these years. That's why I enjoyed playing Rage, it still had that old-school PC FPS feeling. Their gameplay is good enough if you like that stuff, in Rage they stepped up their art a LOT (just LOOK at Dead City), I mean, for Id Tech 4 they were all like "SHADUUURS!" and with Id Tech 5 they're all like "ARTIIIIISTS!"

If they could get a good story they would make awesome all-round games me thinks.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement