(When I say "general" file formats I'm talking about non-engine specific file formats like 3ds, dae, xml, json, obj, etc)
Should game engines only be able to load engine specific file formats? This would reduce loading times because the parsing would be fast or not required at all (deserialization).
The assets would be converted to the engine formats using offline tools.
My guess is that most current engine take this approach since game assets are usually bundled together in large files.
Or should there be a way to load "general" file formats at runtime? Is there special cases where it would be helpful?
For example: Loading JSON files is troublesome in terms of memory management because I've no way of knowing how much memory the parser will need because I only know the file size... With an engine format I can preprocess or simply serialize the file.
Any thoughts/ideas?
Thanks.