Using XMVECTOR as a class member causes a crash only in Release mode.

Started by
2 comments, last by Sock5 11 years ago

I've been trying to use XMVECTOR as a class member for a bounding box, since I do a lot of calculations, but I use the XMFLOAT3 only once per frame, so the bounding box has a method that gives me it's center in a XMFLOAT3, otherwise it stays in a XMVECTOR;The class is delcared with __declspec(align(16)) and works in debug mode.However in Release mode it crashes the instant I set it to something:

Box& Box::operator=(const Box& box)
        {
            _center = box._center;
            _extents = box._extents;
            return *this;
        }

Whenever I do:

Box A;
Box B;
A = B;

It crashes, giving me 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Also it crashes when I create it as a pointer:

Box* A = new Box();

This is the constructor:

Box::Box()
        {
            center = XMVectorZero();
            extents = XMVectorSplatOne();
        }

Again, this works fine in Debug mode, but in Release it crashes.What could Release mode be changing that would generate invalid code?Do I need to do something else, other than aligning the box to 16 bytes?

>removed<

Advertisement

The only time I have ever heard of issues using this class is with respect to the 16 byte alignment. Are you certain that you have correctly enforced the alignment? I recall reading through the following page very closely when I ran into this issue some time ago: DirectXMath.

Please consider reading that answer:

http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/84299.aspx

Yeah, turns out you have to overload the new operator and use an aligned allocator for 16 bytes, fixed it for me.Thanks for the links.

>removed<

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement