Join the Rising Empires beta test

Started by
10 comments, last by Netherlords 10 years, 7 months ago

One dangeroues mistake you might do as a developer is that you find your own GUI easy and logical while in truth it's a really tough nut to crack. The last week we doubled the number of players in our beta test but since many of them are less fanatical 4x players there seems that many don't understand how the game works. In a way it's really good that we learn this now and not when we release the game next month.

Now we're working to make the GUI more informative and more intuitive. I've attached a couple of screenshots of the new GUI. It's still a WIP but it shows what we are aiming at...

Cheers!

Advertisement
It’s only six days left until the release of Rising Empires and we’re just about finished with all the new features and improvements for the premium version. Just a few hours ago I uploaded the final version of my code (AI and what we call the process methods) and Johan completed the last improvements for the GUI yesterday. We’ll still polish the game until the very end but we’ve added all the stuff that we intended for the release. We’re very excited to hear your response to the last features we’ve added and also how you like the insectoid Krant and the Dwarf races.
Among the last things I fixed was improving how the AI value the strength of it’s armies when it prepares to attack an enemy town. Now it will build extra companies if it believes that the enemy town is very well defended, before it sometimes sent conquest armies that where to weak even when it was sent off.
While working with this improvement I also found a very irritating bug. It seemed that when the AI compared if there is a path between two locations in the same region it always failed if both locations were the same. This just happened to have a big influence when it came to making use of all its army reserves since it always tried to locate its largest army reserve and when it would pick companies from the reserve it could no longer see that it was connected to its target location. Anyway, when I fixed this error the formerly very big army reserves that some AIs built up decreased in size as they now send them to do mischief instead.
Read more at the Words from the Netherlords.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement