Need a Story Line or a place to find one.

Started by
2 comments, last by Ludus 11 years ago

I'm an Android developer looking to take on a medium/large scale RPG Android game. As I'm a coder at heart, my creative writing skills are seriously lacking. Given this, does anyone know of a resource where you can find story lines? Clearly, any material I receive will gain full credit in the production as well as a cut of any profits made***.

[Recruitment language deleted]

*** For reference, this game is currently intended to be free in the Android Marketplace, but if it's seriously awesome, then making it paid is a possibility.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

1. Need a Story Line

2. or a place to find one.
... looking to take on a medium/large scale RPG Android game. As I'm a coder at heart, my creative writing skills are seriously lacking. Given this, does anyone know of a resource where you can find story lines?

3. Clearly, any material I receive will gain full credit in the production as well as a cut of any profits made***. [Recruitment language deleted]

1. Why? I'm not being facetious. Why are you trying to make something that's dependent on story, when you don't already have a story in mind first?

2. You can use the Classifieds. You can network at game dev events locally, see if you can find someone. You can even look at blogs, and contact writers whose writing you admire.

3. Recruiting is not permitted in the discussion forums. Please use the Classifieds for recruiting efforts.

Edit: Why don't you join a team that already has an idea for an Android RPG and offer them your services as a programmer?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I also suggest you join an RPG project as a programmer. If you want to design the gameplay, many teams would allow you to have or share that role. If you really want to make it by yourself, though, a story shapes what kind of monsters and humanoids there are in the game and what kind of abilities there are in combat... it would be impractical to just be given the core of a story by someone else, because then where would you get the details from? For example, I could give you a story concept like, "The main character is a young shapeshifter just starting to accumulate knowledge of different monsters he or she (player chooses gender) can shapeshift into. Shapeshifting isn't used just in combat but also to solve puzzles and to interact with NPCs (sneaking, persuasion/seduction, theft). The final boss is an evil dictator who is a mage. After the player defeats them they can either become the new dictator or leave to wander the world or go back to being a peasant." That's not actually enough for you to make the game, unless you feel up to inventing all the locations, names, secondary characters, dialogue, etc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Try looking in common story line formulas, such as the monomyth. It will give you some focus to your ideas. You'll just have to spend some time filling in the blanks and fleshing out the details.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement