Advice Needed

Started by
2 comments, last by LennyLen 11 years ago

Hey, I am quite curious and interested about Programming and Coding! Being a highschooler, I don't get many chances to learn so I have been self teaching myself some JavaScript and most recently, a bit of Java. I have a few questions and hopefully someone can help me!

First off, what language would you recommend a person who is starting out to learn, if they wanted to get an understand of programming? Also, it would be great if you could include some of the things that could be done with these languages.

Secondly, is Java still a good language to learn? I mean, I have seen old artcles about how Java is a good language, but is it still that way?

Thank you.

Advertisement

Yes, Java is a good language to learn programming, as any other general-purpose language :). Anything else is a religious debate.

Java is a great language. I have been making an arcade shooter with Java for 3 months(which requires prior understanding the fundamentals of the Java language) and it has been a rewarding and a great experience learning 2D game programming. Stick with Java. I can say from experience if you know enough Java so when you decide to branch off and learn other languages or decide to make a 2D game. The code will make more sense and easier to understand.

As has already been stated, yes java is still a good language to learn. It's a language that is quite often used to teach beginner programming courses, so there are a lot of educational resources for it.

Another good language to help learn about the concepts of programming is Python. While it's not as widely used as Java, it's a good choice in that it can be used to teach OOP, imperative and functional programming. Python is also designed with human readability in mind, which makes it a little easier to learn than some other languages.

But frankly, what language you learn from isn't what's really important, so long as you can easily use the language to learn the basic concepts of programming. Once you have these mastered, you can easily learn any language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement