Gun Control In Australia vs the USA

Started by
121 comments, last by way2lazy2care 10 years, 11 months ago

(edit: mind you that I'm also under the opinion that everyone who wants to own a handgun should have to go through mandatory safety and general usage training, much like you need to pass tests in order to be able to drive)

Another stupid question from me:

Isn't that what "gun control" means? Or "restricted" gun ownage?

Advertisement
The car example was brought up earlier in this thread and I'd like to point out one thing; no, I don't trust the idiots I see driving around in cars so why would I trust them with a weapon?

People are stupid; these are facts.
People drive along talking on a phone (not even hands free) and think they are safe... I mean wtf? And I'm meant to trust these people with a gun? Ugh...
People drive without even a basic understanding of how the human visual system works which leads to accidents (protip: if you scan your eyes, without stopping, from near to far you don't see anything in that gap, your brain is just making shit up!)

A couple of weeks back I saw the dumbest near miss ever; a white van stopped in the road to make a right turn (UK, so he is on the left of the road), clearly positioned to indicate his direction, but he could see up the road and could see another vehicle coming so was waiting. Another car came racing up behind him and without stopping tried to go around the stopped van on the side he was pointing (to his right) and nearly hit the oncoming car which he didn't see until he pulled out around it... oh, and this was done somewhere in the region of 50mph, blind.
(I was walking long the road futher up the hill, I didn't see the approaching car so I no there is no way the driver could have either. I watched it all play out and for a moment thought I was going to be having to stop to be a witness for the two guys who fault it wasn't.)

So, yeah.. having seen people drive and the stupidity which that causes I don't trust them and nor do I trust them with a weapon.

So, yeah.. having seen people drive and the stupidity which that causes I don't trust them and nor do I trust them with a weapon.

Yet they ARE trusted with a drivers license.

Per capita many more people are killed by cars than by guns, but somehow you don't see people calling for bans on automobiles.

Per capita many more people are killed by cars than by guns...

In the USA? Or in the World?

Yet they ARE trusted with a drivers license.

Per capita many more people are killed by cars than by guns, but somehow you don't see people calling for bans on automobiles.
I

But you do see lots of people demanding heavier restrictions on driving, particularly for people who have demonstrated that they shouldn't be trusted with a 2+ ton machine that can travel at 100 miles per hour. Plus, there are more restrictions on driving (liability insurance, mandatory training and provisional licensure, maintenance of licensure, possible temporary or permanent revocation of a license, registration of vehicles, regular checks and enforcement, and so on) than there are on gun ownership. And there are legal liability issues that apply to cars but not guns-- you can be charged with vehicular manslaughter, for example, but manslaughter with a gun is just manslaughter.

I personally would want more restrictions preemptively (before you can get a driver's license), but the last century of US city planning make cars a virtual necessity for a lot of people. Without massive upfront investments auto restrictions would produce serious obstacles for people to live and work. Guns are just not as integral in the practicalities of everyday life as cars are, and so there are different constraints around restrictions of each, fair or not.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Perhaps we are asking the wrong question. If we do not restrict guns, then how do people propose to lower gun violence? It may be on the decline, but it still is a problem.

I'm curious to see what people propose.

I have already answered that with a few things which would likely result in less violence and crime across the board, not just gun related.

1. End the War on Drugs
  2. Fix education
  3. Free (and easy access) birth control for everyone

@tstrimple: true about nothing short of a ban preventing the tragedy. But this family has shown that their judgment regarding gun safety is lacking, and as much as it was an accident it was also a coincidence that the toddler was killed rather than someone walking their dog in front of the house at the last moment. An unsafe situation was created through carelessness, and the danger was, in this case, realized.

There aren't going to be any legal consequences for this family. That would also likely be the case if it had been a jogger outside killed instead. If the five year old shot a passerby and paralyzed him, the family would also face little to no responsibility of any kind.

That's bullshit. The prevailing attitude and current legal approach enshrines nearly unlimited ability to own and operate guns whle refusing to ascribe any reponsibility for the damage they can cause. That's not the case for cars or really anything else. Why are guns the only liability-free category? How can that be justified?

I haven't said there shouldn't be consequences for their action, but that is a separate issue from gun control. I would say they are guilty of criminal negligence if not negligent homicide. However consider the ramifications of such an outcome. Is the surviving child really better off if one or both of his parents are imprisoned? Is society safer because his parents are behind bars? I also wouldn't say the parents got away lightly. They have to live with the knowledge that it is their fault that their child is dead. Many would consider that punishment enough.

Perhaps we are asking the wrong question. If we do not restrict guns, then how do people propose to lower gun violence? It may be on the decline, but it still is a problem.

I'm curious to see what people propose.

While I'm all for gun control, the US is still special when it comes to gun violence. There's many other countries where citizens are allowed to own all sorts of dangerous handguns and rifles, yet they don't have the same levels of violence as the US, which indicates there's many underlying problems that cause people to want to use their guns in bad ways.

Personally, I see the biggest underlying cause of US violence as the massive level of inequality between citizens...

I think Frob explained the overall reason for gun violence being higher in the US as compared to other countries where guns are legal pretty well. The underlying reasons are hard to get at. The NRA tends to blame media, while liberals point at guns. The fact is that neither has better proof than the other. We can look at examples that seem to disprove both. Many countries have the same media that the US does, yet violent crime is not as high. At the same time, there are countries that have freely available guns, as you pointed out, but not nearly as high a violent crime rate. The truth is that much of the gun crime is gang related, and the reasons people join gangs...I'm no real expert there.

It may be simplest to make guns illegal in urban zones while letting them remain legal in less urban areas. I think someone suggested this earlier in this thread. The more urban areas do not have the same need for guns that people may have in more rural settings. In more rural areas, I can see why people would want to keep guns, even though I personally do not like the idea of freely available guns.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The number of gun deaths in America each year is actually about equal to the number of vehicle deaths. Most of them are accidents though and caused by things you can't control plus we use cars far more than we use guns.

I think something that's being missed is that the rate of gun violence is declining. It seems like a knee jerk reaction to try to fix something that is working and getting better already just because a handful of shitty things happen. Considerring that and the fact that we're the closest first world country to most of the countries that rank higher than us in Gun violence, I don't know what else could be asked.

I'm all for lowering gun violence, but passing crappy legislation so people can feel good about themselves is almost always a bad idea.

The number of gun deaths in America each year is actually about equal to the number of vehicle deaths. Most of them are accidents though and caused by things you can't control plus we use cars far more than we use guns.

Just to back this up, in 2011 they were close enough to be pretty much statistically equal. The death rates for both were 10.3/100,000. I just looked an apparently in 2009 cars got way better. I found that interesting that there was like a 20,000 death drop in a years time. Good job auto industry o.o

edit: I just checked something and apparently 60% of our gun deaths are suicides. Not really sure how that affects things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement