DX11 InstanceDataStepRate

Started by
1 comment, last by InvalidPointer 10 years, 11 months ago

Have you found any use for this field in D3D11_INPUT_ELEMENT_DESC? In all examples I could find it's set to zero when instancing is not used and to 1 when it is. That makes sense. I am just wondering if setting this to sth > 1 can be possibly useful for anything?

Advertisement

It can be useful in some effects.

Example:

Drawing a model multiple times at different positions in pairs (each pair with a different tint).

struct VS_IN
{
    float3 position;
    float4x4 instanceWorld : mTransform ;
    float4 tint : mTint;
};

Since 2 instances should be draw with the same tint the instance step rate is 2

const D3D11_INPUT_ELEMENT_DESC instlayout[] =
{
    { L"mTransform", 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT, 1, 0, D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA, 1 },
    { L"mTransform", 1, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT, 1, 16, D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA, 1 },
    { L"mTransform", 2, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT, 1, 32, D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA, 1 },
    { L"mTransform", 3, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT, 1, 48, D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA, 1 },
    { L"mTint", 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT, 2, 0, D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA, 2 },
};

Most common instancing effects use step rate = 1 though.

I actually came up with a nifty way of using this-- particle LOD. Instead of having one giant honking texture with multiple particles packed onto it (think a cloud of sparks), you can actually create a few (geometrically) distinct particles that are simmed/drawn as one unit. In the vertex shader, you can add some random offsets to each sub-particle and get something visually identical with less fillrate consumption.

clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement