Something somewhere screwed up my co-ordinate system

Started by
2 comments, last by Krohm 10 years, 11 months ago

I've been working on a big game project for a while now and I've found a bunch of "hacks" that I did a while ago just to make things work. One of the biggest of these has been the conversion between co-ordinate systems. As far as I know I should be able to grab positions from my physics engine (bullet) and use those to render things (in OpenGL) In practice I found that I inverted a bunch of axes when moving things between graphics and physics, this is bad because I don't always do the same conversion each time but somehow it works which leads me to believe that somehow I'm interpreting the positions wrong when I render them. I set up my matrices using GLM like so:

ProjectionMatrix = glm::perspective(60.0f, ratio, viewNear, viewFar);

viewMatrix = glm::lookAt(glm::vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), glm::vec3(0.0, 0.0, -1.0), glm::vec3(0.0, 1.0, 0.0));

When I render something I first set the view like so:

inline void reApplyTransform(vec viewer, float yaw, float pitch)
{
	modelMatrix = glm::mat4(1.0f);

modelMatrix = glm::rotate(modelMatrix, pitch, glm::vec3(1.0, 0.0, 0.0));

modelMatrix = glm::rotate(modelMatrix, yaw, glm::vec3(0.0, 1.0, 0.0));

glm::translate(modelMatrix, glm::vec3(viewer.x, viewer.y, viewer.z));
}

When I render my landscape there's no problem but my landscape is always at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0). When I render an object that moves I need to then multiply the matrix by one that I grabbed from my physics engine like so:

btTransform trans;

body->getMotionState()->getWorldTransform(trans);

btQuaternion rot = trans.getRotation();

rot.setX(-rot.getX()); //mirror the x-rotation axis so it shows up right when we render it

rot.setZ(-rot.getZ()); //mirror the z-rotation axis so it shows up right when we render it

pos.x = -trans.getOrigin().getX();
	pos.y = trans.getOrigin().getY();
	pos.z = -trans.getOrigin().getZ();

trans.setRotation(rot);

trans.getOpenGLMatrix(matrix);

matrix[14] = -matrix[14]; //mirror the z-translation axis so it shows up right when we render it

matrix[12] = -matrix[12]; //mirror the x-translation axis so it shows up right when we render it

reApplyTransform(vec(player->renderPos.x, player->renderPos.y, player->renderPos.z), cameraYaw, cameraPitch);

modelMatrix *= glm::make_mat4(matrix);

The problem here is that in order to make the movable objects show up properly I need to invert the x and z axis. But when I convert the player's (camera) position I need to Invert the y-axis and nothing else:

void Playerchar::updateTransform()
{
	btVector3 Ppos = charCon->getPosition();

//update the player's rendering position
	renderPos.x = Ppos.getX();
	renderPos.y = -Ppos.getY();
	renderPos.z = Ppos.getZ();
}

The obvious question troubling me is whats up with that, why do I even need to convert? I must have done the transforms part wrong but I did that two years ago. Anybody see anything obvious that they want to point out?

Advertisement

The problem here is that in order to make the movable objects show up properly I need to invert the x and z axis.

If you need to invert 2 axes, it means you're performing a 180 degree rotation (around Y in this case), and not a coordinate system change. That might be accounting for the confusion possibly?

The problem here is that in order to make the movable objects show up properly I need to invert the x and z axis.

If you need to invert 2 axes, it means you're performing a 180 degree rotation (around Y in this case), and not a coordinate system change. That might be accounting for the confusion possibly?

You bring up a good point I'll look through my mounds of code. Might this also explain the y axis inversion?

One of the biggest of these has been the conversion between co-ordinate systems. As far as I know I should be able to grab positions from my physics engine (bullet) and use those to render things (in OpenGL)

As far as I recall Bullet uses the same coordinate system as GL you shouldn't need to invert anything. Look at the Bullet demos.

I would make sure your projection matrix is as expected. If you can look at the input filter code, it might make some sense to do so, I have myself discovered a bug which would cause similar issues on certain assets. Before going that way, ensure your collision shapes are correct.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement